Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep's wool dropping out  (Read 8645 times)

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Sheep's wool dropping out
« on: March 25, 2011, 11:55:18 am »
Hi.  I introduced myself a week or so ago - we have suddenly got the job of lambing 18 sheep because of my mother's illness, although I grew up on a sheep farm I don't seem to remember much! So far 3 have lambed and we have 5 lambs  ;D

Can anyone tell me why a ewe's wool has started dropping out?  When she gets up from where she has been lying down she leaves a pile of wool!  She doesn't seem to be chewing herself - so it doesnt seem itchy.  She will be due to lamb within 2 weeks.  The only treatment she has had was heptavac P a couple of weeks ago. Do I need to worry or just let her get on with it?  She's a texel crossed with something else - mule perhaps?
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
Re: Sheep's wool dropping out
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 01:41:30 pm »
I might be wrong (correct me anyone?) but I think it is when a sheep gets a fever or high temperature, it causes the wool to fall out.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 03:19:22 pm »
Has she lambed or is she just about to?  For some ewes just the strain of pregnancy can cause wool slip - I have a couple that look dreadful at the mo but it happens.  As said above could also be she feels a bit off colour.

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 05:24:30 pm »
One of my ewes gets wool break during lambing time.  I just don't think she loves giving birth.  If that's what it is then nothing to worry about.  This year is not too bad but last year she had a pink rear end.  It grew back soon enough but was in a way quite good as we didn't have to worry about fly strike!

Big Benny Shep

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Skipton
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 07:10:55 pm »
She is a BLue faced Leicester(sp) Swaledale mule and seems happy enough, we'll just have to keep an eye on her.

Thanks for all the replies  :sheep:
BIG Ben
We have 80(ish) texels and texel x suffolks, 10 lleyns, 21NE Mules, 2 Dexters with calves, Monty the labrador, Dottie, Bracken and Poppy the collies and 30 assorted hens.

Rosey

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Lincolnshire UK
    • UKNaturepics.com
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 09:52:59 pm »
just check it is not twin lamb disease. keep and eye on her to make sure she is eating, give her free access to a high energy lick.

nails

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Somerset
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2011, 09:12:37 am »
I have had a ewe whose fleece was falling out, she looked like she had been half sheared, she had lice, treated her and she is fine now and the fleece is growing back. She was also in lamb when this happened.

Advertisement

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS