Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Retained placenta  (Read 9719 times)

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
Retained placenta
« on: March 25, 2011, 06:24:06 am »
Gd Morning

One of the ewes had twins 9 days ago unfortunately both dead on arrival she retained the placenta, i gave a full course of antibiotics and she is now outside on the grass. she is still very lethargic, stays on her own and her stomach has the appearance of being sucked in.
Has anyone had experience of this if so any idea how long it may take for her to recover.

Regards

Freddiesfarm

• Joined Jan 2010
Re: Retained placenta
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 08:09:16 am »
When they have a misfortune like that it can take a week or more.  I would be tempted to give her some minerals (whether injected or drench doesn't matter).  Make sure she is eating, ivy is great for sick sheep and if she has a gunky discharge do her another course of antibiotics.

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 08:18:07 am »
def try ivy as recommended in previous post and also dock leaves which my poorly sheep loved and now still insists on being fed.....

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 02:15:58 pm »
Hi Padge.  Did she ever pass the placenta?  The usual treatment is to continue antiBs until the placenta has been passed.  What about mastitis?  There is clearly something still wrong with her.  Does she have a temp?  Could be she still has a retained placenta, or it could be that she lost the lambs because there was already something wrong with her.
How long she takes to recover, if she does, will depend on the treatment you give her.  After this length of time, I would be asking my vet for advice. If she has retained the placenta, then she will need antiBs direct into the uterus - your vet will give you these (something like Synulox) and any other advice you need.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 10:07:23 am »
I had a similar thing and was told by the vet and friends to 'go on in' and have a gentle check.  I couldn't find anything substantial - then just carried on with another course of AB.

We kept her on her own in a pen for the duration with extra foods and water in peace - she seems ok now. Hope yours is OK too.

Baz

fruitfarm

• Joined Feb 2011
  • The Lincolnshire Fens
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:05:40 am »

Does she have a smelly discharge? Ususally that's a pretty good indication of a problem in the uterus. And I would check her udder too in case she might have a touch of mastitis. But if all is OK physically don't underestimate the effects of grief. She may just still be not understanding what happened and why she has no lambs.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2011, 01:22:59 am »
I agree, grief can keep them low for some time, as well as the aftereffects of whatever illness caused them to abort.

Vitamins always seem to help.  A good dose of Combivit, or a good drench, often perk them up no end. 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Padge

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 07:23:45 am »
Quick update       she's penned on her own with extra food     no temperature and no disharge nothing else lurking as far as we can tell Baz   just keeping up with antibiotics really    she's eating carefully but is still unhappy

Thanks to all for input ;D :sheep:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 09:25:05 am »
I agree, grief can keep them low for some time, as well as the aftereffects of whatever illness caused them to abort.

We had a ewe this weekend lambed one alive and one dead (not nice) - vet said the best thing was that she had a live lamb and that he would help her to get over it. Mother and son doing fine now. And she does love her remaining lamby.

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 10:01:34 am »
Yes having a live lamb would help, not just so she doesn't grieve but for the physiological action of suckling the lamb which will help the uterus get back to normal.

Good luck Padge, I hope she picks up soon.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:05:10 pm »
Outcome sounds good, just remember they are sometimes very quick at dropping the placenta and eating it before you realise its even been passed !!

hope shes on the up

andy
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS