Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: lick buckets are left out all year, but what determines reducing the 18% ?  (Read 2901 times)

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
  • observe react administer enjoy !!
    • photos
Hi all

another question id like to ask please, my first batch of 10 ewes and 13 lambs are out grazing and doing v well, the grazing is on poor ground and is very scrubby, do I still carry on feeding them a little 18% concentrate to help the ewes produce the milk for the lambs which range from 6 weeks to 10 weeks? weening is a while a way, althou they are grazing nicely, but if they have a lick bucket is this enough or do they need extra help with concentrate?

thanks
Suffolk x romneys and Texel X with Romney Tup, Shetlands and Southdown Tup

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
The answer depends on what you intend to do with the lambs, if you want to sell them fast then you could make a creep area and feed the lambs on pellets and the ewes a lick, if no rush for the lambs then you seem to have grass so lick only no prob

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
thanks very much, dont intend to push on there growth, they wont go until the end of the year, so thanks very much, wanted to know that the ewes will be ok if they are still feeding the lambs. any other comments appreciated

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Andy the ewe right in the middle with the long tail looks urine stained , some dont bother lifting tail to pee these can attract flys so would sugest as soon as weather warms clip all stained wool of tail area.

andywalt

• Joined Aug 2010
  • kent
    • photos
yes, I have a few with tails, I really dont like sheep with tails but the last owner wouldnt doc the lambs, but I do have a few and your right they need a dam good clipping.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS