Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Traumatized - castration?  (Read 13263 times)

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
Re: Traumatized - castration?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 04:53:35 pm »
Just copied this from Defra-

(4) Under the Protection of Animals Acts 1911 to 1988 (in Scotland, the Protection of Animals (Scotland) Act 1912 to 1988), it is an offence to castrate a goat, which has reached the age of 2 months without the use of an anaesthetic. Furthermore the use of a rubber ring or other device to restrict the flow of blood to the scrotum is only permitted without an anaesthetic if the device is applied during the first week of life. Under the Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966, as amended, only a veterinary surgeon or veterinary practitioner may castrate a goat after it has reached the age of 2 months, or dehorn or disbud a goat, except the trimming of the insensitive tip of an ingrowing horn which, if left untreated, could cause pain or distress.

So yeah surgery any age as long as anesthetic is used after they are 8 weeks.
What age do people have them done surgically? I see that ringing must be done within first 7 days.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 08:32:35 pm »
I have dairy goats, so larger than pygmies, and either the vet slips on the ring during disbudding (at no extra cost) or I do it myself (I have a polled one just now, so no disbudding), as I also do my sheep boys.

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 11:10:57 pm »
We've never had one done surgically, always ring instead. There is a knack to it, and ALWAYS check that both bits are in the ring!

Beth

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2011, 11:27:46 pm »
I have had a look at Finley again today.  Being a pygmy he is so tiny, it is impossible to ring him before 7 days.  Last years male pygmy was the same, we had to wait until there was something to ring, if you get the gist!!  Kid suffered no ill effects with being past 7 days.  Lay down a few minutes, then he was up and off up to his usual mischief. I have no experience of sugical castration, although one of my rescue goats was done just before I got him.  Vet did it in the field apparantly.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 10:51:42 pm »
It depends on the vet and how his practice is et up. Mine would prefer to do it in the practice, but I have seen them doing it to Alpacas in the field (under anaestetic as well).

With Pygmies I would think it would be easier to bring them into surgery, as they can be safely transported in a large dog carrier.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 10:57:15 pm »
yes I took my to the surgery - first thing in the morning  - done and ear tags in as I'm a coward when it come to goat cry's - I was in with them, saw it all, did feel a bit sorry for them but by the time we got home 10 min drive and they hear their mum they were fine
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

fruitfarm

• Joined Feb 2011
  • The Lincolnshire Fens
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 08:28:58 am »

We also have ours castrated and ear tagged under a light anaesthetic at the vet's. We have had some problems with urinary calculi in our males (I blame it on the very hard water round here but maybe it's just bad luck) so we now wait as long as we dare to get this done(usually about 3 months) but then we are worrying that the precocious little devils will be impregnating their mums and their sisters.

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 09:27:36 am »
That's all really helpful- I mean it might be a couple of years before I have a couple of pygmies..and then another 2 years plus after that before any kids  :D but I like all the planning and reading! The internet is a bit of a mine field when it comes to info and sometimes it's good just to get solid advice from people who are actually doing it.

Claire  :)

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 12:36:05 pm »
The problem is with so many pet owners now owning pygmy goats(Not decrying that but there is a downside)they now require the vet to do even the most simple things...even trimming feet!!!! The vets will soon have the monopaly on everything(Good little earner at the prices they charge.
    Dis-budding went up over night from £2.50/£3.00 to  £15 when it was made illegal by anyone else.In the days when experianced goat keepers passed on their knowledge I never had horn scurs,then I had to take the kids to the vets and for an extortanate price I had the honour of almost every goat with scurs(Even had a very nice unicorn!)and its no good the vet saying bring them back and they will redo them for free,that is far more stressful and dangerous
     It will soon come to the day when we aren't allowed to do anyhing for ourselves and skills will be lost...very good for vets I daresay who will have done a whole afternoon coarse on goats rather than he owner who has 40yrs of knowledge

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 01:21:19 pm »
Totally agree! Although for someone like me who will be completely inexperienced it's probably best for the goats if the castration is done surgically and for the most pain free  :)
Anything else though I can do as quite practical and used to injecting etc etc
I'm not sure about the whole disbudding thing- on one hand it seems most Pygmies are not done but then you read how dangerous it is to leave the horns on but I'm guessing that's just for the larger breeds digressing now... ;D I personally prefer the look of them entire with their horns.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 08:11:10 pm »
I would say I'm not experienced or inexperienced as having had goat for 4 years its not ages but I do a lot of observing and know each one pretty well, I have no problem with injecting, hoof trimming, we don't disbud and I feel they should be left with their horns - I like them, but just shake when it comes to castration and tagging - it's irrational but there you go. Maybe I could get over it but have no one to teach me.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 10:18:36 pm »
Tagging is easy peasy to learn - practise on orange peel first if you're really nervous.  I'm sure there must be peops on here close to you that will either let you go over to theirs to watch next time they're tagging or maybe come across & teach you on yours  :goat:.

Castration -  :-\ personally I'd  leave it to the vet.  But it's a matter of cost/experience/squeemishness !!!
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 10:44:52 pm »
Tagging is blissfully easy- we used to tattoo, and when you see that process, you realise how easy tagging is! My OH saw tattooing last year for the first time, and was absolutely horrified!

Castration by ringing is easy, but not surgicially! That's for the vet to do.

Beth

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 10:51:40 pm »
I know what to do, where to do it - did the first 2 kids we had but they screamed and screamed and now I just have a mental block about it - they go to the vet to be caustrated and she tags at the same time while they are doppy no problem!! What I mean about the teaching thing is - yes I can tag an orange fine - and after the local farmer came to help tag lambs last year I will do the lambs this year as they didn't bat an eyelid - it was the sreams from the first two that did it - and I know they are vocal - it's all in my head - I'm mad

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 11:04:08 pm »
I held all the heads of a friend's lambs that were being tagged for slaughter a while back- her daughter did the tagging and I was quite impressed but...it was the crunch  :o :o !! but it wary quick and they didn't seem to bother too much- wondering if goat's ears are thinner or not. She certainly seemed to have to press really hard!! Was quite comic with my head practically up my friend's bum and her 16 year old daughter tagging away quite merrily!! ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS