Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Traumatized - castration?  (Read 13248 times)

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
Traumatized - castration?
« on: March 22, 2011, 08:43:40 pm »
 :'(
I wanted to see how castration worked with the little ring things- I have no experience of this as you can see.. looked on Youtube and a video showed a fully awake goat kid have it's scrotum cut, the testicle pulled out..cut..then I couldn't watch anymore. PLEASE tell me if I end up with male goats this is not what I will have to do?? It MUST have hurt??  :( :(
Are there any videos showing how it's done using the rings?

Claire

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
Re: Traumatized - castration?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 09:04:10 pm »
You can either castrate with rubber rings within the first week of life, or it can be done by the vet later in life, but I am not sure if the billy smell will go with the balls...

Also if you are talking pygmies I would imagine that everything is pygmy-sized so you may struggle to fit a ring to a very young billy kid.

It is done the same way as for lambs, if you have a friendly sheep farmer nearby you might be able to go and watch/learn. It is something that comes with practice, and yes it is quite painful for the little fellow. My lambs are usually up and suckling again within the hour, and it is somehting that I do out of necessity, also to my male goat kids. If the kid is being disbudded then it is easy for the vet to slip on the ring while the kid is under anaesthetic.

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 09:09:22 pm »
So this video wasn't showing the norm? The kid apparently hadn't had any anaesthetic- seemed barbaric  :(

Thanks for that info  :)

Mays

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 09:18:05 pm »
my husband always rings the lambs, there is a bit of skill required, and he does hate the job. the lambs look a little uncomfortable for a day then they are back to normal. I presume male kids are ringed the same.

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:55:43 pm »
After trying and trying my first pygmy's were ringed by the vet - they looked uncomfortable but recovered pretty quickly - since then I have not plucked up the courage to try again - I know it's pathetic just just can't do it so I taken all male kids just before 3 months and have them surgically done - anasthetic - ear tags done at the same time and a lot less stress for me and the kid - I can manage all poo and goo but pain is just not me and I guess I don't have enough kids to get the practice and feel confident - each to their own I say
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:07:13 pm »
Starting to think the video I partially watched is NOT the norm then- this was being done with a scalpal blade... :'( :'(
I reckon it would need to be a vet job for me too- especially in the beginning anyway...

Claire :)

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 11:18:14 pm »
At the vets a very sharp blade was involved (saw it all) but they were given drugs to make them totally sleepy but not unconsios so after they got home they didn't seem to bother too much and were back to their mad selves in a couple of hours
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 10:26:59 am »
This video showed a couple of guys holding the kid down- on the ground while another guy...did what he did- I actually had the sound turned  off and so glad I did because when I read the comments below it seems the kid was in a lot of pain. Starting to think this wasn't even done in Britain but somewhere where people have very little money so don't do the ring/vet way.  ???

Claire

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 10:48:23 am »
Your probably right - re the vocals - the vet told me (sounds right) that goats are very vocal and cry at the slightest signs of discomfort and I usually think they are in pain but she assured me it's more of a 'I don't like what your doing to me'

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 02:09:13 pm »
do they have balls from day one then? our ponies have sometimes had to wait 18mths to be done cos theyv held on to them. we'l be castrating for first time but have shepherd showing me... :-[

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 02:18:22 pm »
So far my male Pygmy's have had - but they are so tiny I'm not sure the ring method is always successful as a friend who does ring has had a few to the vets later to get surgically done - or possibly that was just technique but she has done it for a long time and I believe ringing must get done by day 7 so no time to wait until they grow!!

wytsend

• Joined Oct 2010
  • Okehampton
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 02:55:38 pm »
Yes goats testicles are descended from birth.  It is vitally important - if ringing- to make sure BOTH testicles are in the ring.

I prefer to have mine surgically castrated by the Vet when they are disbudded... it prevents mistakes and is much kinder to the kid.  Ringing can cause considerable pain when done by somebody who is inexperienced.

My Vet charges a miniscule amount for the castration as it is only time.

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 04:23:08 pm »
I was going to ask about vet prices for castration- our local vet we have been with for YEARS but they are known for being pricey.
Should I expect to pay about the same as a dog or is it a much quicker op?
Thanks

Claire  :)

(No where NEAR this stage but just want to all my homework)

frustratedfarmer

• Joined Mar 2011
  • East Lothian
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 04:39:01 pm »
Ok- just phoned my local vet- it's not something he has done in a while but very helpful and full of info- he said it would be about £15/£20.
He also said the rings can sometimes be tricky cos their wee balls are so small :-[ :D
Does this price sound decent or should I "shop around"?
He advised me to look at the Defra website for welfare guidelines on age for castration etc

cheers!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2011, 04:49:43 pm »
Can't find my receipt from the boys last year but I'm sure it was £10 + drugs which made it about £18 each so your's sounds about right. I 99.9% sure ringing before 7 days and surgically at any age but as mine kids were going to new homes they were done just before 3 months with time to heal before leaving me.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS