Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best Tasting Rare Breed??  (Read 19789 times)

TRUFFLE

• Joined May 2009
Best Tasting Rare Breed??
« on: March 21, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »
Having had commercial type pigs for the last 2 years (duroc x), we are thinking of trying a rare breed for a change. We would like something with a friendly, docile temperament, but which tastes great at the end (sorry to all of you who don't eat yours!!)  Not over keen on massive amounts of fat either - this has always put us off something like the GOS, as we've been told they are very fatty (but maybe that's where all the taste comes from??)  We are confused and need a bit of advice from those in the rare breed know!!  Thanks, Clare  ???

robert waddell

Re: Best Tasting Rare Breed??
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 05:54:59 pm »
truffle you don't say what the other bit of your cross was
going by your post it is only the Hampshire or British lop that you will be interested in
now all the G O S breeders will be on here telling you that the gos is by taste the best and every other breed will be championing theres
middle white x with gos gives 10mm of backfat (fed properly) :pig: :pig: :wave:

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »
I have had Tamworths, Iron ages and some that where crossed so many times that there paremtage was very questionable!!

My first Tamworths tasted great but where a bit on the fatty side. The Iron ages had a very strong taste and I know have a couple in the field along with some yet untasted GOS.
The first crosses where disappointing, so the rest became bacon, sausage and gammon.

Mine where fed on Sow and weaner nuts through out and free range in a large paddock eating there way through the field. Once you have had ypur own pork you will never want to go back.

Consider pig keeping as a adventure....it really doesnt matter what you have as next time you can try something else.

The key is not to over feed, yes, fat improves the flavour, but you dont want more fat than meat.

TRUFFLE

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 06:53:22 pm »
Thanks for those replies -I never knew what the Durocs were crossed with!! Tasted OK though, and got loads of meat from them with not too much fat.  However, we really do want to be more adventurous now, so welcoming these suggestions.  Have never heard of Iron Agers?!!!  Where do you get them from? 

gavo

• Joined Aug 2008
  • Belcoo, Enniskillen, N.Ireland
  • Crazy Pig Lover
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 08:14:37 pm »
Oxford Sandy and Blacks make great meat  they are also very docile hardy and don't put on much fat even when fed very well.

Tudful Tamworths

• Joined Aug 2009
    • Liz's website
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 10:32:26 pm »
"Iron Age" are wild boar crossed with Tamworth. A bit bony in my experience.

Try different types of pork from farmers' markets if you can. And don't forget that a meat pig isn't for life, just for four months (if a traditional breed), so you can afford to experiment.
www.lizshankland.com www.biggingerpigs.com
Author of the Haynes Pig Manual, Haynes Smallholding Manual, and the Haynes Sheep Manual. Three times winner of the Tamworth Champion of Champions. Teaching smallholding courses at Kate Humble's farm: www.humblebynature.com

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 10:39:36 pm »
Since when was a Hampshire ever a rare breed?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2011, 12:01:33 am »
My first choice would be Middlewhite, and then Berkshire.  The Berkshires have more character, but the Middlewhite taste better IMO.  I did have a White Welsh Cross of some description once, which was good too.  Am I right in thinking these have an extra rib - all you pig experts out there. ;D

I found the Iron Age type pigs too clever, and the pork was not all that porky, a bit more like wild boar.  I like my meat to taste as I expect it should ie I want a duck not a Barbary Duck.  I found the GOS was too fatty, and the Tamworth not all that tender, but I bet it would have made lovely bacon.

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2011, 02:05:45 am »
GOS is my favourite.  Fed well they are not fatty and the taste is sublime.

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2011, 07:18:36 am »
As Julie S says GOS fed properly are not fatty.  If they are too fat for your taste ask the butcher to cut off the fat and to put the skin back on for the joints.

I think I would be hard pressed to find better tasting pork than a properly fed GOS although tamworth is also gorgeous.  Mangalitsa is also superb.  Actually all rare breeds taste pretty great, I suspect you need to try them all and find the one most suited to your taste.

chickenfeed

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2011, 07:40:17 am »
did anyone watch last weeks british food revivals ? last week it was potatoes and pork, very informative explaining why fat is needed to get the best flavour.

that said we have had tamworths, british lops, saddlebacks, oxford sandy and blacks, GOS and hampshire (not rare breed i know )

the lops and osb both make great pork and bacon and are top of the pile for us and our customers.

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2011, 09:08:17 am »
Old Spots are delicious.

Yum Yum Yum.

ShaunP

• Joined Dec 2009
    • Timber Chalets and Lodges
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 09:18:38 am »
I found the Iron Age type pigs too clever, and the pork was not all that porky, a bit more like wild boar.  I like my meat to taste as I expect it should ie I want a duck not a Barbary Duck.  I found the GOS was too fatty, and the Tamworth not all that tender, but I bet it would have made lovely bacon.

This is the problem with such a question.......everybody has different tastes.....so it really is a minefield.

Iron Age is not a docile breed, they are very alert. My GOS are very docile and laid back. But again not everyone wants docile pigs!! I have been over the moon with all the bacon and sausages whatever they have come from!!!

TRUFFLE

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 10:02:24 am »
Thanks so much for all your replies! Yes, it is a minefield, and I loved the comment that said a meat pig is just for 4 months, not for life, so get experimenting!!  Made me giggle  :wave: Don't necessarily have to have rare breed I guess, just something a bit more interesting than what I would term "supermarket pork" (so Hampshires may fit the bill) but I do quite like the sound of the lops.  I think I'll just have to see what is available out there at the moment.  We have only ever paid about £30 for our weaners, which I think seems very cheap having had a quick look at what is available, BUT (and I can hear you typing it already) I'm sure you just get what you pay for!!  :pig:

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 10:17:08 am »
No contest GOS  ;D Not that i'm biased or anything.
Mandy :pig:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS