Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Best Tasting Rare Breed??  (Read 19791 times)

robert waddell

Re: Best Tasting Rare Breed??
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 08:00:24 pm »
interesting comments from all posters
iron age is only a descriptive term for wild boar crosses (so you do not need a dangerous animal licence) that was the first pigs we had
hampshire a rare breed? at the last count there were only 13 registered breeders in the UK probably Mr pig will question this as well never mind truffle was willing to try them???? :wave:
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 04:57:53 pm by lillian waddell »

Squinky

• Joined Aug 2010
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2011, 08:35:30 pm »
This post is not going to help you at all, but please read on anyway ;) We buy weaners and fatten them. To date we have had Saddlebacks, OSB, Tamworth, Large Black x Middle white, GOS, Middle White, Pietrain x Saddleback and Berkshires. Guess what ? I'm none the wiser ! There are so many variables before anything ends up on your plate. Two batches of the same breed can be very different because they come from different parents. Some are fattened mainly during summer, others winter so what they root up varies. What about the butcher ? His cure for the ham and bacon may vary or he may leave it in the cure for a day longer or shorter. Bottom line ? It's pretty much all delicious  ;D Now we buy weaners based on their availability, price and nearness to home. That said I'd still love to try some breeds we haven't had just for the sake of it. Lops being top of the list. As I said, not very helpful, but good luck and enjoy.

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 09:34:40 pm »
Has nobody tried Kune Kunes? They are a "smallholder" pig afterall.  Has this "micro pig" fashion thing  ::) put peops off giving them a good life & a useful end or do they think they're too cute & rather give them a miserable like stuck in a flat all day with a spiteful cat for company  >:( >:( >:(
Sorry folks, I know all of us KK peops on here love our KKs & I don't hate cats either  ;D just starting to rant ...
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 09:40:50 pm »
happy hippy will be along to support the kune kunes
we had them  we sold them on   not a fan even if they were fed wrong   :wave: :wave:

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 09:44:47 pm »
Fed wrong? I'm intrigued  ???
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

robert waddell

« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 09:49:41 pm »
sow rolls barley and potatoes     well we had 125 pigs at the time try feeding that lot on sow rolls alone ::) ::) :wave:

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 09:56:18 pm »
LW - pleased to oblige on the only bit I understood. Hampshires are an American commercial breed and are widespread (literally thousands of pedigree registered) in the US, Canada and a number of south American countries. Don't take my word for it - check on its status within the international FanGR registry.

robert waddell

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 10:12:52 pm »
but we are not in the us Canada or south America    it is the UK
now tamworths are in Australia and other country's as are saddelbacks BUT THEY ARE STILL REGARDED AS RARE BREEDS
the bpa website tells the story that it is of British origin  :wave:

TRUFFLE

• Joined May 2009
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 07:43:42 am »
OMG! What have I started??  :o Quite a debate going on, but is making great reading, so THANKYOU to all who have replied.  Squinky, just out of pecuniary interest, what do you normally pay for your weaners?

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2011, 07:59:51 am »
Lilian/Mr Pig, you have made me think too.  I know mangalitsas are very close the the lincolnshire curly coat but they are not the same.  They have been imported to UK from Austria and yet are considered to be eligible for registration on the British Pig Association herd book. 

How can this be?  (Not having a rant a genuine question from the mentally confused) ......

HappyHippy

« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2011, 09:21:30 am »
Yes HM, you've got me thinking too  ::) ;D
Kune Kune's aren't in the BPA's remit as they're not a native breed (so I was told, but maybe that's not the only reason ???) so why would Mangalitza's or reintroduced Hamphires count ? I think there's a bit of height descrimination going on somewhere  ;) ;D ;D ;D
I'm not going into the whole KK for meat speil again (thank god I hear you all say ;)) if anyone wants to hear it have a look here http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=12829.0
Karen x

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2011, 09:37:45 am »
OK - response to various points. Populations of pedigree Tamworths in US and Canada are minute and make no difference to the world population of TWs which is rare. The Saddleback populations in Australia and USA are even smaller and again make no difference to the world population of the breed. Hampshires however are widespread throughout the Americas and are thus not endangered. The fact that there is a small population here (but much larger than TW and BS populations overseas) is thus irrelevant to the overall situation. To extrapolate your logic further, i.e. because there aren't many of these American pigs here in the UK they must be rare, do you consider because there are hardly any Large Whites in Scotland that they too must be rare?

Just because something appears on the BPA website doesn't make it true.

Mangalitzas. There is no truth in the assertions by some that Mangalitzas are related to Lincolnshire Curly Coats. It is a story concocted by those who imported them to make their stocks saleable to others in the UK. Yes, a small number of LCCs were exported to eastern Europe in the 1950s - too few to have made any difference wahtsoever. Further, no one can point to a single pedigree and show any direct lineage to a single LCC. Managalitzas are widespread throughout Poland, Hungary, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Albania etc. and again the world population is enormous. Mangalitzas had a curly coat even before LCCs were exported and the only relationship between them is that they share a rogue gene that causes the woolly appearance. BPA are a commercial organisation and open their business to any foreign breed that happens to be imported to the UK if so requested. Kune Kunes decided to do their own pedigree recording. I attach a photo of Mangalitzas from the beginning of the 20th c.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:46:49 am by Mr Pig »

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 11:41:13 am »
i like foreign food!! ;D ;D ;D ;)

my mangalitza tastes great...but we did also send 3 kk's at the same time and they taste fab too ;D ;D ;D

;) love this site ;)
'can't rain all the time!'

robert waddell

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 05:14:32 pm »
well then mr pig you forgot about the tw in oz   and also that hampshires originated from the uk
just because you say something is irrelevant has no more creadance than search engine generated print
so whare does the red hereford pig  come into this (will nead to get on the bandwagon with this one) just to jack of a few breeders

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2011, 05:38:41 pm »
LW - Again the Australian population of TWs is very small and doesn't affect the breed's worldwide status as recorded by the UN in the FanGR listings.

The Hereford pig has never set foot in the UK let alone Herefordshire. It was named in the States where it was developed because it had similar markings to Hereford cattle, ie brown with a white face.

Hampshires were indeed derived from pigs originally sent out - probably from Scotland - in the 1820s. They were shipped via Southampton which is why the Americans chose to call them 'Hampshires'. The colour and shape has changed significantly over the years as the Americans have 'improved' the type by crossing them with other breeds. The modern Hampshire barely meets the description 'breed' as - as I am sure you can attest - relatively few pedigree piglets born meet the breed standard in terms of colour, markings etc which may be a reason why they have lacked popular appeal in the UK as a pedigree breed.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS