Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our little rescue came home on Saturday! Meet Hope!  (Read 7489 times)

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
Re: Our little rescue came home on Saturday! Meet Hope!
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2011, 09:51:34 pm »
What a little cutey, well done in rescuing her, cant wait to see pics in a few weeks when she starts to cast hair and put on condition.  She looks very sweet and will soon settle in am sure.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 09:23:26 am »
Thanks everyone, what lovely comments!!

I've been sitting with her for half an hour or so at a time in the yard whilst she eats in the sun and I read my book! She's still very jumpy and even jumps when I turn a page but she is getting noticeably better now.

She won't touch apples, carrots, ready grass, cool mix, alfalfa, pears or any kind of mash ... I'm hoping that will change soon, so that I can get some wormer into her. She's eating tons of hay! Last night she got through 2 big slabs of hay, a big handful of haylage (trying to introduce it very clowly in case it's too rich for her) and a bucket of grass which my other half picked for her! Grass is the way, and ... drum roll please ... she took some out of my hand yesterday!!!  :love: ;D This morning she took some out of my hand when I went into her stable to let her out too!  :)

She's a messy little madam now that her tummy has settled a bit and is obviously having great fun rolling about in her stable. She has found all of the best places to itch in the yard and there's hair EVERYWHERE! ... will have fun disinfecting all of that when she eventually goes out!

The onyl problem is that I can't stop calling her Faith!!  ::) :D

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »
 ::) well it is a lovely name  ::) not that im baised or anything  ::)

You will have a fantastic summer with her watching her develop, mentally, emotionally and physically this summer, cant wait to hear about all your adventures, and see the pictures,  :horse: :hshoe: :wave:

TheGirlsMum

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 08:36:56 pm »
What a wonderful thing you have done

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2011, 09:14:48 am »
Well, it's day 9 now. We've had a couple of setbacks ... she managed to itch a gate off it's hinges and got into the front paddock, where our neigjhbours two ponies decided they would join her and proceeded to back her into a corner and launch a full blown attack whilst she tried to climb a stone wall  :o :(

I managed to get her calmly back into her stable and she was almost a bit pleased to see me after her ordeal ... very tired indeed and even lay down with me in her stable! :-[

As of Saturday I have been able to touch her face. She got a bit bolshy for a while and tried biting with ears back but the lift of one finger and an "AH" soon stops her ... she's gaining in confidence daily and I can see her being a right madam soon enough! She has been introduced to mucking out tools, the wheelbarrow and sweeping this weekend (all by hand previously) and tried a bit of sugar beet (not too fussed).

I still need to find something she will eat so I can get her wormer into her but she's not interested in anything! ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 11:45:07 am »
Probably best not to feel sorry for her and treat her with kid gloves - YOU know she's had a bad start and a lucky escape, she doesn't and you don't want her turning into a we madam. What's funny at six months generally isn't funny at 2 years  :)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 01:48:59 pm »
I agree. you don't wan't a bossy horse.

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 03:53:16 pm »
Today I've been teaching her that she comes to me for food on my terms, making her back up and stop pulling faces before she comes back for more. She will acceot my hand on her face more readily now without the face pulling so hopefully we're gettin there!  ;D

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2011, 05:00:54 pm »
Sounds like you're making great progress!

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2011, 11:43:40 pm »
All sounds good  :)
Lynn :)

rip

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2011, 01:27:28 pm »
she a lucky pony, 5 day panacur guard when fit enough :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS