Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: advice on type of bit  (Read 5485 times)

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
advice on type of bit
« on: March 27, 2011, 06:57:35 pm »
Hello I'm looking for advice if possible I have a 15hh cob 3 1/2 years old hes fully broken and very well behaved in traffic and most things
Been out riding him often with friends and he does everything well
I use at present  a snaffle bit and hes fine
if hes ever spooked mostly if a bird flys out or something sily he just dances on the spot
hes never tried to tank off with me but If he did i doubt I could stop him ( lots of muscle )
so my question is what kind of bit would be best so that its kind to him but will give me added breaking power should it be needed?
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
Re: advice on type of bit
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:00:07 pm »
If he's happy and he's not given you cause for concern why change? If he goes bridge your reins then think about a Pelham maybe. I use one with my 15 2 cob as he is very strong and never respected a snaffle ever.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 09:07:27 pm »
If he decides to go, no bit will stop him, so don't rely on it. Get used to using one rein to turn him. Any horse can bolt in the right or wrong circumstances.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:16 pm »
I agree with rosemarym if a horse decides to go, nothing will stop it, its that flight instinct, they are just doing what comes naturally, i always break mine to the voice as well as with a bit, like the driving folk do, i find my big mare responses better to my voice then anything else, also you could try your riding seat, you can slow a horse down with how you hold your seat, but again if they want to go they will go  :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:33:57 pm »
I agree if they're going then nowt you can do really except cope with it. My lad is very strong but does listen to the seat and very much to the voice. I think the Pelham just makes me think I've a measure of control :-)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 06:37:20 am »
To be honest, it doesn't sound like your horse has a very long flight distance, which is typical of the colder blooded types. He'd probably be the first in the heard to get eaten, because he'd run 10 yards then look back to check if the lion was really coming.  ;D

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 12:22:52 pm »
e'd run 10 yards then look back to check if the lion was really coming.

rotfl, That sounds just like my baby, he jumps or like I said dances on the spot but rarely takes off,
I suppose I am just thinking ahead, dont want to get too complacent, I was trying to put a picture of him on here but it wont allow me
ill try again  as i am really proud of the ugly duckling I bought and turned  into a beautiful swan, lol

ah its actually let me do them i think,

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 01:35:00 pm »
he is lovely  :wave:

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 11:39:18 am »
Im very impressed, you are right, he has really blossomed into a stunner hasnt he?!

I wouldnt change bits from your description, he sounds pretty well behaved! At 3 and a half he sounds like a paragon of virtue! Theres no reason for him to run off if you give him plenty of confidence in himself and you.

The only thing I would check is whether his snaffle is to his liking eg a single jointed one can be quite harsh as it does a nutcracker effect which can be quite uncomfy. French link (2 joints with a rounded lozenge in the centre) is usually gentler.

If you really did want a little more feeling of control not for everyday but maybe later on for for cross country or open fields :-) you could go for a 'hanging cheek snaffle' (also called a filet baucher), it just adds a tiny bit of leverage as the cheekpieces are connected to a small ring just above the bit rings rather than on the bit rings.

Dont go for pelham, double or any gag unless you really have to.

he sounds lovely, hope you have lots of fun!

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 12:51:50 pm »
You didn't say which type of snaffle bit you are using? ???

A stronger bit often meets in more resistance so you could give yourself other problems.

He isn't doing anything that makes you think he is about to tank off so this is just your nervousness. I wouldn't mess about changing bits, he sounds like a lovely lad.

And regarding tanking off - if you were on the back of a dog ( :D ) you'd never hold it back should it decide to go, so stop worrying and enjoy your lad!!!!!!

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 01:08:41 pm »
He is adorable.
I had an episode recently where my boy who is normally very good with everything got startled by a dog shooting out of a hedge and barking and of course being an ex racehorse he took off and before I could catch breathe he was half way home. I definately couldn't be a jockey I like life to pass by at a slower pace than that day and there was no pulling him up or turning him but saying that trying to turn him at that speed probably would have put him into a flat spin  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 03:41:54 pm »
My older chap would occasionally bolt for fun and despite knowing the theory of bridging reins, one rein halt etc, there werent no way I was able to risk unbalancing 17 hands of Irish boy at mega full pelt. Hanging on was the height of my ambition!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 10:17:21 pm »
To be honest, it doesn't sound like your horse has a very long flight distance, which is typical of the colder blooded types. He'd probably be the first in the heard to get eaten, because he'd run 10 yards then look back to check if the lion was really coming.  ;D

Not always the reason ;D

Sounds like your cobs doing fine....whats a bit?

;D ;D ;D

AengusOg

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 10:35:57 am »
I've been thinking about your post, and I've had a look at your pics. Your horse looks a nice lad and you look good on him. However, as you've asked about bitting your horse, and you have concerns that he may overpower you if he decided to take off, I would like to mention a couple of things which worry me.

Lots of people say they have problems with heavy cobs when they reach six/seven years, when some of them seem to go through a rebellious period and give cause for concern. Heavy horses and their part-breds can take a long time to mature, both physically and mentally, and I don't think a rising 4yr old of that type can be considered 'fully broken'.

Also, because the growth rate is slow in such horses, I would worry that a heavy horse may suffer damage to his legs if ridden too much at that age. There is the potential for stresses on the growth plates of the long bones at certain times during the horse's development and, in extreme cases, the longevity of the horses working life may be decreased by too much work at too young an age.

I am concerned that your horse seems to be coming behind the bit in the pic you posted. I acknowledge that it is only a brief snapshot in time, but he does look held a bit tight. I wonder if that is because, as you have mentioned, you are slightly afraid that he may have the power to run away with you, and that you may not be able to stop him.

Snaffle bits are not as kind on the horse's mouth as many people believe. The single jointed snaffle in particular has a nutcracker action which puts pressure on the bars of the mouth, and can cause the joint to put severe pressure on the roof of the horse's mouth if used harshly. Some riders, under the misconception that snaffle bits are mild, can cause pain to the horse's mouth with very little pressure from the hands.

In reaction to such pain, some horses will throw there head up and try to lose the pain by getting 'above the bit', while others will try to avoid pain by bringing their chin as far back toward their chest as they can (coming behind the bit). Some riders even think this latter is normal and that their horse has been 'on the bit', particularly if he is foamy at his mouth, when really the horse has his head so far behind the vertical that he cannot swallow effectively.

Your enquiry about a more appropriate bit, in case your horse should try to run away, and your remark that he may be too strong to stop, tells me that neither you or the horse feel that you fully trust each other yet. A green horse can still be a safe horse, as long as he has been trained in such a way that he understands that he cannot use his strength against you.

If the young horse has learned that his strength is greater than that of his handler, he will always be a liability if he decides not to do as he's asked. Regardless of the bit in his mouth, his experience will tell him that his strength will let him win. If the rider attempts to hold him with the bit and, particularly if that causes him pain, the horse may try to run through the bit and the rider will struggle to stop him. Some horses will be difficult to stop and, if held tight, may resort to rearing.

With green horses, I would always recommend a mullen mouthed bit, preferably with full cheek. Such a bit, correctly fiited with Fulmer loops to the cheek straps on the bridle, will always sit well in the mouth, and will present an even pressure on both corners of the mouth, without affecting the palate. The Pee Wee bit is another which I have found to be liked by young horses. It has a light curb action, a mullen mouth piece, and encourages a horse to yield in the turns. With made horses, we have found it to be a great help in creating a balanced, responsive horse which can be ridden with a light contact.

Any bit is only as good as the hands which use it. Pressure and release is very important when using a bit of any sort. Much depends on how the horse was introduced to it, and I would always recommend some groundwork with a new bit, where the horse is trained into the bit before being mounted. The most important lesson a horse will ever learn is how to yield to pressure, and that doing so will earn him relief from it.  A horse trained thus will always be keen to comply with the rider/handler's requests as he will have learned from experience that any pressure brought to bear on him will be released immediately he does.

I don't know how you ride, but I do know that some riders rely very heavily on the bit to be able to apply the brakes. In fact, much can be done in other areas of the horse's training which will make him more compliant and trustworthy, and will make the use of the bit an absolute last resort when it comes to stopping him.

I firmly believe that groundwork is the method by which a trusting relationship of mutual respect is established between horse and handler and then rider. A partnership takes a while to build, and is formed over a length of time which is dictated by the learning ability of both parties. Teach your horse that there are other reasons forbye the bit that he must not run away from you.

:)

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 11:49:29 am »
Hi all thank you for your replys,
can i just mention that the rider in the picture is not actually me its one of the younger girls off our yard,
I coudlnt get them to take a decent picture so got someone else on him so i could do the snaps,

he does tend to hold his head in like that though, i think he looks proud but if its because of the bit then ill try some of the suggestions

we tend just to walk out a little trotting but not much more

hes fab its just me I think over worrying, lol

the snaffle Im usung is a jointed one so i may try a straight bar if its kinder

I will let you all know how hes progressing

thanks again
Diane

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS