Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Our little rescue came home on Saturday! Meet Hope!  (Read 7452 times)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
Our little rescue came home on Saturday! Meet Hope!
« on: March 21, 2011, 02:34:33 pm »
Hope came home on Saturday lunch time. She was terrified ... all of her friends had left at 6am and she had been left knee deep in cow slurry, on her own for about 4 hours. We then arrived, herded her into a trailer, drove her 2 hours and put her in a new stable ... all a lot to take in!

A couple hours ofter she had gone in

Yesterday I opened up the yard for her ... it's not very big but I wanted her to get out in the sun and think walking on the paving can only be better than a deep straw bed for her feet, which currently look like this...

Huge problem getting her to drink from a bucket ... she hadn't drunk for almost 48 hours. I gave her lots of soaked grass but she wouldn't touch soaked hay. I piled loads of grass into a bucket in the end and when she found the water she went mad for it! I had to keep moving my feet to get the poor thing to stop drinking too much!

Hooray!!!

Her eating has more than doubled now she know's that buckets hold water!

The closest she's been to us

She likes standing up here (up a step) as it makes her a bit taller!

Always hungry

You can almost start seeing what all of her fluff is hiding in the picture

She's going to have a lovely mane and forelock!

And that's it! She is shut in her stable every night. I'd like to almost get a bit of a routine with her so that she knows she will be let out every morning and will go to bed every evening. Hoping it might help her to settle a bit quicker. She's very curious which is a good sign and will come fairly close as long as you don't move or look at her. She likes being sung too!:D

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: Our little rescue came home on Saturday! Meet Hope!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 02:38:43 pm »
don't worry over her feet too much ive seen much worse. do you know how to trim them. does she have company.

Sandy

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 02:50:06 pm »
Bless  :)

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2011, 03:19:10 pm »
Hi Paul. She's never been touched by a human except when the farmer grabbed her by her neck and flung her on the floor last week when she was chipped so feet will be having to wait a few weeks!

She can see the ponies in the field through her window and through the gate in the yard but she's being quarratined at the moment ... she has a little stable mirror which she loves!! :)

scotelf

• Joined Aug 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2011, 07:04:06 pm »
Well done on bringing her home. I 'Hope' all goes well with her, you are looking after her well. It will  be lovely to see how she comes on, so keep up posted with her progress.
Lynn :)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »
She's beautiful. She's landed lucky and I'm sure she's going to have  along and happy life with you. You should be proud of what you've done for her already.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2011, 07:33:17 pm »
oh she is lovely, what cracking eyes, wish you all the luck in the world with her,  :horse: :hshoe: :wave:

Cinderhills

• Joined Jul 2010
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2011, 07:34:09 pm »
She is gorgeous.  What a lucky lucky girl she is to have found a loving home.  :)

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2011, 07:47:06 pm »
she's lovely... all the best for her  :)
Little Blue

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:26 pm »
She will soon come round to some TLC, what a lovely face, lucky girl to have you.  :)

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 09:35:44 pm »
what a waste to kill off her mum. they would fit well in up here.

smiley bucket

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 09:55:25 pm »
you will find the way to her heart is via her stomach! I think it was a great idea for getting her to drink from a bucket by filling it with grass. She will soon settle into your very sensible in by night out by day routine.  Our two Dartmoor rescues came covered in lice, they were impossible to get rid of with louse powder, coats simply too dense, so I used Coopers Spot On for the sheep instead. Not licenced for horses/ponies, but it has done the job with no ill effects and the improvement in their condition was visible so quickly. Good luck, keep us updated :)
Pay our politicians minimum wage and watch how fast things change.

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2011, 07:31:17 am »
we had to do that with ours after one we bought was not cleared before being sold. we tryed spraying with the proper stuff but like your dartmoor they were wild and did not like it. a lot less stressfull a quick squirt near their mane.

dysie39

• Joined Oct 2009
  • Life is what you make it, so make it worth living.
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2011, 08:51:11 am »
I am close to tears here reading about your kindness,
I know that she will learn to love you and appreciate all you are doing for her,
how lucky she is to have you, and you to have her,
would love to see some more pictures of her journey into a normal life and how
she starts to develop into a beautiful girl,
keep up the good work
hugs to you all,
Diane :wave:
An immaculate house is a sign of a dull life

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2011, 09:22:35 am »
what a great story to start my busy day!  thank you so much for posting it and all the fab photos - she has a lovely soft eye, so i think she'll be fine and settle really quickly

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS