Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock worrying  (Read 10474 times)

Sandy

Re: Livestock worrying
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2011, 10:27:03 pm »
Have you actualy been and asked the farmer? When we moved in here 4 years ago we were warned by the previouse tenants, then, Steve met some one walking there and the farmer had killed his dog!! Not sure why you would go and ask him as you do not walk up here anyway???? We do not as we know the times he puts sheep into his fields and sometimes there are cattle that are a bit concerning as they follow VERY quickly!!

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2011, 10:34:05 pm »
Yep, totally agree with Annie here - it's not the dog's fault & the owner may welcome some guidance.

The electric fencing should work a treat - just be careful, if you are putting it alongside an area that the public have access to, remember to put-up the warning signs & use a low charge, as they have been known to (rarely) induce heart attacks in dogs. Though you could mention that to unruly owners of dogs (yes, that way round) as it may encourage them to keep them under control!

:pig: :dog: :chook: :bee:
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2011, 10:50:19 pm »
Now I stand corrected if I’m wrong but I was led to believe that as a responsible dog owner while out walking its your responsibility to keep your dog under control, I’m sure the law states that :-\……….. Going back 10 years ago my neighbour a hill farmer and my self had a similar issue with a Sunday hill walker, his dog a lovely Dalmatian took great delight in chasing and continually worrying all the animals he stumbled across. We gave up count how many times he was politely asked to leash his dog……..Now I wish I had this document to hand but I don’t any more. It was provided by the local council office at the request of my hill farmer neighbour…..It clearly stated the definition of being in control of your dog while out walking was that the animal is leashed………And that a dog no matter how obedient if not leashed is deemed out of its owners control…………Now the law may have changed but for years I kept a stash of these documents in our yard and took great delight in dishing them out on the odd occasion………..Have a word with your local community bobby they may be able to give you some direct support especially as far as the law goes in this area
Good Luck
Dave

Sandy

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2011, 10:56:10 pm »
Course its the owner, thats why we are carful where we go with our dogs just in case. I know a farmer or livestock owner CAN kill any dog in another field but roaming free just as it IS a risk to thier livestock, not nice for dog owners, dogs or in fact the livestock so they should walk where there is less chance of intimidating animals or keep them in control with a lead, even a well controlled dog without a lead can be shot!!! not nice!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2011, 10:59:02 pm »
No , Dave, that's not the case. A dog doesn't have to be leashed to be considered as being under control.  Look at all the various shoots and training grounds there are.  The dogs there are very much under control but are not leashed.  However, I agree that it most definitely IS the owner's reprehensibility to keep a dog under control.  Mine are only allowed off leash in a safe area, well away from any farm land.  I know that mine will retrieve birds (usually only dead pheasants and partridge etc, and they don't kill the ones they retrieve), they are safe with 4 legged animals, and I don't take the chance.  A deer shot across in front of us this afternoon at Kelty woods and they just sat on command and watched it away.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 11:00:52 pm by doganjo »
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Jackie

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2011, 05:14:57 pm »
Well across my land the council have put up signs saying that dogs have to be kept on a lead because there is stock in the field, and I think thats actually the law :)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 05:21:48 pm »
Well across my land the council have put up signs saying that dogs have to be kept on a lead because there is stock in the field, and I think thats actually the law :)
Yes, where there are stock in a field that is true.  I can't imagine why anyone would walk their dog in a field where there are stock in it anyway.  I sure wouldn't, except in a field trial and those are sanctioned by the specific landowner.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sandy

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 05:44:45 pm »
Those signs are along the disused railway, thats why we do not go anymore as those big open fiels look tempting, like you say, best to keep well out of the way of livestock, I see loads of nice pathways etc but dare not go until I go without dogs and up to now thats never, the Forest or the dam for us around here!!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 08:36:40 pm »
Even the Dam can be a problem, Sandy.  Last year Freckles went off hunting rabbits at the sluice side and got into the field next the the wooded area -  it wasn't stock fenced at all.  No animals in there on that occasion thankfully, but she was right at the far side of it before she suddenly realised how far she was from me and started to come back.  And last week Allez went across the reeds on the left hand side and couldn't find his way back.  Took me half an hour of whistling and coaxing to persuade him to come past the swans which were displaying like, crazy! (He loves ducks but he's a wimp when the swans come out to play  ::) ;) ;D) There is farm land beyond that and it's too far away to see if it is fenced off.

Sandy

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2011, 09:27:46 pm »
I thought that after I posted, we took Ben there ages ago and he saw the car at the end of the walk around the dam and he ran off, after the cattle, the swans and everything else around!!!!!! I used to be able to trust Islay and Bruce as I used to use the short cut between farmers fields and they always stuck to the path next to me!! Dare NOT do that with all four and o ur Ben!!!!!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 08:28:42 am »
Having seen what a cow can do when she is angry or a ram protecting his ewes or worst of all Hilary on a rant I can't understand why anyone would risk their animal by walking it off a lead near livestock.

Perhaps a quiet word with the lady concerned suggesting that if you find her dog in your fields again you will have to borrow a llama and of course graphic and gory account of what llamas do to foxes etc.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 02:44:12 pm »
 Next ime the dog pays you a  visit  why dont you tie him up and call the pound...found a stray dog on my farm...... they will take it to the pound  and the owner will have to pay to get the dog out.  wont take too long for this  to stop.
 One way to get  thru to the owner surely!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS