Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Livestock worrying  (Read 10528 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Livestock worrying
« on: March 19, 2011, 10:52:01 pm »
I have had ongoing problems with a neighbour walking her large GSD down the farm track (public path) off the lead.  I think its off the lead due to it being too strong for her.  I have had "words" in the past regarding this dogs behaviour ....as in jumping our field wall and chasing the hens.  It also on numerous occasions chased and caught my farm cats.

Last week it came down their drive,  and chased one of my cats.  Cat was not seen again for two days, and came back with a lot of missing on its tail, and two large gashes where it had been bitten.  Fortunately, this cat is one I can actually pick up, so I was able to spray its tail with tea tree antiseptic, and it is now healing.

On Monday, I saw the neighbours mother walking the dog down the track. Again, no lead, definitely too strong for an older lady.  Suddenly, there was a lot of cackling, and the dog was in the bottom field and was pulling feathers out of a hen.  Lady did very little to stop it ....probably unable.  Fortunately hen managed to escape leaving feathers in the dogs mouth, getting through the sheep netting into the next field.

Today, mid afternoon, we hitched the flat trailer to go and pick up some haylage bales.  Called on a friend on the wasy back,. so away just over an hour.
Spotted a pile of white feathers in the bottom field, and my heart sank ......my lovely silkie hens.  Rushed down, no body, so hunted round. Found the tiniest silkie hen we have, cowering by the goats field shelter.  Fortunately, she is tiny, so had managed to get through the sheep netting out of the dogs way.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Livestock worrying
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 10:55:00 pm »
I have had ongoing problems with a neighbour walking her large GSD down the farm track (public path) off the lead.  I think its off the lead due to it being too strong for her.  I have had "words" in the past regarding this dogs behaviour ....as in jumping our field wall and chasing the hens.  It also on numerous occasions chased and caught my farm cats.

Last week it came down their drive,  and chased one of my cats.  Cat was not seen again for two days, and came back with a lot of missing on its tail, and two large gashes where it had been bitten.  Fortunately, this cat is one I can actually pick up, so I was able to spray its tail with tea tree antiseptic, and it is now healing.

On Monday, I saw the neighbours mother walking the dog down the track. Again, no lead, definitely too strong for an older lady.  Suddenly, there was a lot of cackling, and the dog was in the bottom field and was pulling feathers out of a hen.  Lady did very little to stop it ....probably unable.  Fortunately hen managed to escape leaving feathers in the dogs mouth, getting through the sheep netting into the next field.

Today, mid afternoon, we hitched the flat trailer to go and pick up some haylage bales.  Called on a friend on the wasy back,. so away just over an hour.
Spotted a pile of white feathers in the bottom field, and my heart sank ......my lovely silkie hens.  Rushed down, no body, so hunted round. Found the tiniest silkie hen we have, cowering by the goats field shelter.  Fortunately, she is tiny, so had managed to get through the sheep netting out of the dogs way.

Time for the dog warden to be called.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 11:00:42 pm »
I agree with DOGANJO  :wave:

robert waddell

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 11:01:23 pm »
the dog should have been reported to the police and you should have insisted that the dog be destroyed and the stomach contents examined with you paying initially
or shoot the bloody thing               it will only be a matter of time before the dog turns on them or worse YOU         it has the taste

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 11:14:02 pm »
Laptop had a blip, and had not finished post before it got sent.

Little silkie is missing a lot of feathers, but seems ok, very scared though.  Obviously, did not see incident, but too much of a coincidence, not to be the dog.

Not sure what to do .....neighbour would say it was not her dog, I know that. Also I worry if I involve police she will contact council about cockerel noise goats bleating, farm smells.  Did think of putting up a sign asking for dogs to be on lead, and say I know whose dog is worrying livestock ....

As it stands, my silkies and banties cannot go out, and even the big hens are not safe. Thats not fair when they love an outdoor life, but safer indoors until its sorted.

Pity dog did not get in the field with the llama. He takes no prisoners - it would be dead  ;D  Then she would sue me for her dead dog probably!!!

Its not just my livestock, neighbour has hundreds of sheep just over the wall from my field, and once they get that chasing and killing instinct, thats it.

What would you suggest?

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2011, 12:20:40 am »
Tell them that you've seen 'predators' attacking/worrying your stock but luckily the police have issued you with a firearms license, you feel safe now because the next time you see something you can protect your animals.

Seriously though, we have a paths right through our land and occasionally we have had people coming through with dogs off the lead despite signs - most the time its been OK but we have had a good few run-ins after the our chucks have been chased - normally followed with a torrent of apologies from the owners.  Point is we have more animal understanding than the average dog owner thus we all know the randomness of behaviour that animals display. Dogs will sometimes be dogs if caught out, its in there nature.

Mate of mine (on here ello mr slavo!) :)  came to ours the other weekend and my dogs attacked one of his chucks and he is perfect with ours - prob cos he wasnt introduced and was caught on the hop and in surprise.

You need to seriously sit down and have an adult conversation - get them to put the dog on a lead if its not on their land.

Baz

hughesy

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2011, 08:34:20 am »
It's the dog owner's responsibility to keep it under control. Call the police and make a complaint.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2011, 08:51:07 am »
As an add on the to the comments and suggestions.  Is there anywhere else they could walk their dog, or do they have to walk dog past your property in order to find somewhere to exercise it.  If they cant control it then it needs some sort of corrective training, or at the very least a method of controlling it whilst on the lead.  If you were to walk your hypothetical bull past their property they would not expect you to let it loose to chase their dog around their garden. 

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 10:04:30 am »

Shoot it; at the very least put up a sign warning dog-walking to keep their pets under control as the law allows you to shoot them if worrying.

fifixx

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Shillingstone, Dorset
    • Bere Marsh Farm
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 10:15:52 am »
For the short term , can you run a netting electric fence down the side your chickens are on?  It might be worth the extra expense just to keep your chickens safe.  Then hang around as much as possible when the dog is being walked and explain the problem.

But - my husband always says I am too nice to the public - he would probably hang around with a big stick!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 10:16:36 am »
lothian and borders police are mounting a campain (in the pentland hills) warning dog owners of there responsibility at lambing time with there dogs also they are on quad bikes as well

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 11:42:49 am »
Picking up on ffix point on electric netting.  Had forgotten that when we first started we had a few problems with hunt dogs.  OH lowered the first line of the electric fencing to dog nose height, after which we have never had a problem.  So if you h ave some electric fencing maybe 2 or 3 strands fairly close together may help.

Joe11

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 08:04:33 pm »
Some electric fencing sounds like a great idea, the dog would certainly think twice before poking his nose in your field again ;) though if thats not practical do think police might be the best bet.

Do be very careful with considering shooting pest dogs though. Yes the law allows you to shoot dogs that are attacking your livestock but have heard that a kind of counter claim can be made for destruction of property and a dog is classed as property. Now thats only what I've heard so could be wrong, maybe if we have someone that knows the law of this area they can comment. Also dog fanatic groups are becoming more and more organised and if someone were to post online on one of their forums a dog was shot on your land you could be opening yourself up to all kinds of ongoing abuse from these people.

I hate irresponsible dog owners and would be hate to be in your situation. How many brain cells does it take to realise that letting your dog run wild after someones animals is bang out of order >:( !!!

Hope it gets sorted out soon for you  :hshoe:

Sandy

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 08:15:13 pm »
If it were my dog I would change where I walked as it spoils things, to say the least, for everyone. The farmer near where we live has shot lots of dogs so we def avoid that place even though non of our dogs have chased livestock we can never say never....I say put a warning sign up, I would hate you to have to shoot the dog but that dog may do more seriouse harm to others and your livestock if nothing is done!!!!! Can you warn them and suggest other walks, electric fence sounds brill idea to me...good luck!

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 09:06:31 pm »
Sorry, but shooting the dog is NOT the right way to go about things, that farmer now has a reputation(he has shot two dogs in 15 years I believe, and threatened a whole lot more with warning shots).  That is only going to create more antagonism than is there already.  It is not the dog's fault it is the owner's.  Can I suggest you buy a 'gentle leader', 'halti' or similar and ask them to use it.  It will make leading the dog easy and is a compromise way of dealing with the situation.  You could suggest she buys one herself but as relations are strained it is unlikely she would do that.  If you get one and hand it to her on the pretext that you have seen her being pulled along and thought it might help then it just might work.  As I said perhaps it is time to contact the dog warden - that is exactly the advice he/she would give anyway.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS