Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Ear tags for slaughter - one or two?  (Read 30579 times)

robert waddell

Re: Ear tags for slaughter - one or two?
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2011, 09:35:28 pm »
SFS you have just emphasised my point  :wave:
you quoted animal health/defra keeping animals and you dont read it (that is were it says the bit about tattooing) sorry but by quoting you mentioned it :pig: :wave: :pig:

« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2011, 10:21:30 pm »
Hi Lillian,

I was quoting it to bring to your attention that pigs (in England) "should" have a UK prefix on their ear tags, and that Mrs.Pig was not quoting sheep regulations by referring to a UK prefix as you seemed to think.

But as you seem determined to have the last word on this post - then do so now and I wont post to this thread afterwards  ;D ;D ;D
www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

robert waddell

« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2011, 09:27:47 am »
it is not a question about last word first word or middle word ? :wave:
WE HAVE 5 FIVE ENGLISH AND WELSH BRED PIGS IN OUR HERD NOT ONE HAS UK BEFORE  THERE SPYS MICRO DOT INFORMATION
AS I HAVE SAID ALREADY b*****ks CRAP OR WHAT EVER EXPLETIVE YOU WANT TO USE :pig: :wave: :pig:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2011, 12:08:10 pm »
Oddly all my imported from Uk pigs have UK on their tags.  My french pigs just have my holding no. on ear tags, when sent to abattoir they are slap marked with FR (France) then my number.  The authorities here are quite lax on some things yet are fanatical about the FR for marking pigs for abattage.

robert waddell

« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2011, 12:15:12 pm »
that is the whole point of uk or fr markings to show the country of origin    exported pigs whould need to comply rigidly for export abroad :wave: 

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2011, 03:58:31 pm »
Gosh - I'm glad I didn't read this before I sent my pigs to slaughter.

I just phoned the abattoir a couple of weeks in advance and asked what was acceptable to them. I will phone in advance each and every time I send as - as has been shown here - the rules change or are confusing and - legal or not - I am happy to go with what the abattoir suggests.

We are in Wales but we take our pigs over the border to England to be slaughtered.

They just wanted a slap mark with the herd number on. We did one on each shoulder and one on each buttock for each pig as we wanted to collect the half carcasses and I did the buttock ones the wrong way round :-(

When we bought the weaners (in Wales) they were just paint marked.

Simples
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2011, 06:44:18 pm »
I will phone in advance each and every time I send as - as has been shown here - the rules change or are confusing and - legal or not - I am happy to go with what the abattoir suggests.

Suziequeue,

Wouldn't worry about phoning each time, the rules are not liklely to change anytime soon, they have been the same since 2007 (England) and 2008 (Wales) and are the same rules in both countries. A slapmark on each shoulder is fine for both the rules and your abattoir, if you want to slap legs as well then no problem. 

What is being argued on this forum are technical points between the three countries, and what people do in practice. 
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS