Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Come on, get me started with some sheep - please  (Read 9079 times)

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
Re: Come on, get me started with some sheep - please
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2009, 02:07:13 pm »
If you go for Ryelands look on the Ryeland Flock Book Society web page. It will give you a list of breeders who advertise and you can pick someone near to you. If no one near to you contact the secretary she should be able to marry you up with somone local. Details will be on the society's web page, or post me a message and I will try to help you as have the Ryeland Flock Book with all breeders in or alternately will have some stock to sell myself a bit later on.
Kaz
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

kaney

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2009, 09:17:57 pm »
Welsh blacks are very hardy and self sufficient.  I bought some Texel cross stores this year when I had run out of my own lambs and they were spot on, carcases were 22kg which surprised me
but downsize is that ewes have a lot of singles compared with my Lleyns which need careful feeding in the autumn to avoid too many multiple births.
Nothing wrong with crosses but with a small number I'd be tempted to breed pure.
I started with 10 4 and 5 year old Lleyns, sent 3 to market in January, one ten and two nine year olds and got £54.50 each which wasn't bad having had 4 crops of lambs out of them.
Good luck

kaz

• Joined Jul 2008
  • Ceredigion
  • Dust yourself off when life throws you down.
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2009, 12:11:50 pm »
Where abouts are you? I've got Ryelands here which you are welcome to come and have a look at, but could also put you in touch with Ryeland breeders nearer to you if I'm too far.
Ryelands are easy lambers which is helpful if you are first time farmers. Mine come to a bucket or even not if they think you just might have something, which is a great help when you want to gather them up for routine MOT work. :)
Penybont Ryelands. Ystwyth Coloured Ryelands.  2 alpacas, 2 angora goats, 2 anglo nubian kids, 3golden retrievers a collie and a red fox labrador retriever, geese, ducks & chickens.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS