Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Forfar poultry sale  (Read 14808 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Re: Forfar poultry sale
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2011, 03:58:22 pm »
the prices reached were unbelievable today!  £95 for a silkie and her babies!!!!!!  OMG

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2011, 04:11:28 pm »
does she come gold plated for that money?

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2011, 04:21:19 pm »
It was mad money today

robert waddell

« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2011, 04:31:27 pm »
any saturday sale is expencive the townie element has the day of work and just go for it  if buying go to a weekday sale if selling use the satuday sales just years of attending sales and obseving prices  :&> :chook: :farmer: :wave:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2011, 04:37:46 pm »
great tip lillian - never gave that a thought!

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2011, 04:54:29 pm »
what did you buy, Laura??

btw - Hannah asked when her goodies would come (sorry to divert)
great website  ;D

Hardfeather

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2011, 05:42:51 pm »
I was there with my wife and two sons. We saw Rosemary :), and met Bigchicken 8), and Nicky :), but didn't know anyone else from the forum.

My eldest boy (8) had his eye on a trio of Buff Rock bantams. They were very nice and made £55. I dropped out at £50 and was glad someone bid the other fiver as my wife might have been a bit upset at that price. We were successful with a trio of Welsummer bantams (partridge black-reds) which were in the cage below the Rocks. I got them for £28. We dropped them off at the house then I went to work while my lad went to pony club, and when we got back one of the pullets had laid an egg. It's boiling as I type. The bairn's delighted with his birds. ;D

Some of the prices were a bit high, but some seemed about right. A friend of mine got a quartet of Auracana, and four Marans pullets for about a tenner per bird. You could hardly hatch and rear them for that these days.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2011, 05:55:26 pm »
I thought it was a good sale with prices OK generally, most birds were of a good standard and looked clean. Had a word about the catalogue and the mart have listened. Very helpful and understanding staff. I believe the building is not completed and will be finished for the next sale .A large building and one that will be good for poultry sales and shows etc. Talked to lots of people and most said it was a good venue and the sale was good, I look forward to the next one cheers Forfar Mart. I met lots of forum members, Bluedaisy,  Cleo12, Rosemary, Aengus Og, Emma t,[pikilily] all nice folks and full of information and all very usefull contacts. I had a great day out and so did my daughter  O! i came away with a nice pair of black Wyandotte bantams and some brand new feeders & drinkers. See you all at the next sale cheers the bigchicken.  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 05:57:18 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

pikilily

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Do what you enjoy; And enjoy what you do!!
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2011, 07:30:58 pm »
Oooh ! i had to leave early, so missed everyone. Met bluedaisy and Bigchicken earlier tho !! Good to see you!!
i managed to come away without buying anything...next time i will have a better idea of what its all about.
Emma T
If you don't have a dream; how you gonna have a dream come true?

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2011, 07:41:46 pm »
I bought 4 laying hens, 3 10kg feeders and a dozen duck eggs..... unplanned of course!  Currently (hopefully) turning into ducks in a few weeks :)

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2011, 09:22:57 am »
Yes, I thought it was a good sale. Met Emma, BigChicken and Cleo12 so that was nice, but didn't meet anyone else - had to leave early as Gary turned up with a box of chicks for me, so I was happy at that! ;)

bamford6

« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2011, 10:47:51 am »
i was looking at the possibility off using this show .we would off put in 50 lots off eggs and 4 pens each there is 5 off us so thats a nother 20 pens and the eggs. The staff sed things would be ok for the next 1 as its 100 miles for us next week clitharo preston big sale 280 miles each way .bought a incubator so not to bad i still think there was  to Meany laying hens in that sale

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS