Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Forfar poultry sale  (Read 14828 times)

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
Forfar poultry sale
« on: March 17, 2011, 10:33:05 pm »
Hi, Is there going to be an on line catalogue for the poultry sale at Forfar on the 26th Marth. anyone know ???
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
Re: Forfar poultry sale
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 08:09:37 am »
in the entry form, it says catalogues will only be available on the day - which is a b*mmer.
I'm really beginning to think I don't have time to go to Thainstone - (got too much jewellery to make and an important date with some puppies on SUnday) so it would be useful to compare the 2 catalogues.
However, nothing exceptional is grabbing me at Thainstone, a few I would be interested in, but nothing that won't be there on May 7th. Probably!. So I think I'll take my chances at Forfar.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 04:14:27 pm »
That just typical lets make it a lottery for folks. I phoned the mart today and the catalogue is not out till the morning of the sale so nobody knows whats for sale till the day of the sale very bad organisation ! In this day and age with all the technology of the computer age and people willing to travel farther to acquire poultry I can only say that great disappointment is my feeling. I was looking forward to supporting this sale. The mart does not even have an E mail address, so technology has not reached Forfar yet, What about the folks that have entered poultry for sale do they even get a free catalogue for there support. Anybody got any views on the subject.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 05:18:29 pm by bigchicken »
Shetland sheep, Castlemilk Moorits sheep, Hebridean sheep, Scots Grey Bantams, Scots Dumpy Bantams. Shetland Ducks.

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 05:57:00 pm »
I can't comment on Forfar, but Lanark is similar.
The catalouge is usually on-line the day before, but their pig and poultry sale is advertised as a poultry sale, then they grumble when there aren't many pigs or buyers for pigs  ??? You would think they'd at least make a bit of an effort  ::)

Hardfeather

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 06:41:25 pm »
Forfar and Lanark are both run by Lawrie and Symington. They are very much old-fashioned, and a typical traditional no nonsense type of mart.

Perhaps if we each suggest those concerns to the mart on the day, they will see the error of their ways.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 07:24:47 pm »
Caledonian Marts in Stirling isn't much further advanced  ??? than L&S.  I'm going anyway but it would have been goot to see what was available in advance.

robert waddell

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 10:16:11 pm »
now i am not being supportive of either market that has been mentioned
but they are dependant on the entries turning up on the day
imagine if you had a catalogue printed 2 wks before the sale expecting some fancy breed of hen to be disappointed at a non appearance
now the pig sales far to long a story to type here better to tell happy hippy in person
it is compliments to L&S that they are continuing the sales even with low entries and no advertising :wave:

HappyHippy

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 11:07:08 pm »
Please don't get me wrong - I love the fact they have the sale, and am very supportive of it. BUT I think they should be advertising it more, not neccessarily having fancy cataloges or anything like that, but just putting on their website that it's a PIG and Poultry sale would at least let people know there were pigs regularly sold at Lanark.
It's like the saying "If you build it, they will come" well, not if they don't know it's there they won't ! :-\

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 11:47:58 pm »
Some very good comments, I attend many sale from York rare breeds up to Dingwall and all can supply a sales catalogue either buy internet or buy post. Hexham Mart ever e mailed me one specially just because I was traveling a distance. I'm not looking for a free catalogue I always buy the real think if I go to a sale , anyway once you have printed out some catalogues paper & ink is well used up. I had a free day on the 26th one of very few now a days and was looking forward to a new venue but with no catalogue whats the point.

Hardfeather

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 08:20:51 am »
The point is it's an inaugural sale, at a venue which is very handy for those who cannot travel the length and nreadth of the country to attend sales. It would be sensible to support it if only to ensure its continuity.

There is also the social aspect.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 09:29:34 am »
If we all go and support it, we can let the mart know that a Catalogue would be helpful - at least we'd be doing it from a supportive position.

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 07:50:43 pm »
Yes Oggy and Rosy I agree with your comments completely, So I will support this sale on the 26th and hope that it does not go the way of the Stirling sale which I supported and encouraged my friends to support. See you all there in the office politely mentioning that an earlier catalogue would be very much appreciated. Have heard that there are 150 lots of poultry don't know if this is true lets hope for more. Anyone got any info as to what folks have entered. Cheers everyone.   

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2011, 09:52:33 pm »
I’m just hoping that there are some L/F Brown Leghorns up for grabs at Forfar (Hatching eggs at a push)not too far to travel….….Checked Thainstone catalogue online and so glad I did as entry's of what I'm looking for is very poor, hence giving it a miss this time :(
Dave

bigchicken

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Fife Scotland
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 09:07:37 pm »
Update acording to bamford6 there are 200 lots of poultry and 50 hatching eggs etc not a big sale makes me  wonder why.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 09:17:39 pm by bigchicken »

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 09:18:35 pm »
I'm going anyway. I don't get out much  ;D

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS