Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: To perch or not to perch that is the question?  (Read 8285 times)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
Re: To perch or not to perch that is the question?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2011, 11:19:28 pm »
i shout " come on girls" and hey presto they all come running, its nice to see, then they all get a treat.

None of mine perch they never have, and they all seem happy  :wave:

You will have a great time watching them they can be so funny  :wave:

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 07:24:28 am »
Some of mine perch some cram into nest boxes some sit in the straw no hard and fast rule. Mine can free range and could leave the holding if they want but very rarely do they. Once or twice the ex bats have been walked down the lane to us by neighbours from their gardens ooopps!
Just enjoy them they soon sort themselves out and watching them is addictive so enjoy. ;D

Bikerene

• Joined Nov 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 05:50:38 pm »
Thanks again to everyone that responded!  I plucked (??) up the courage to let them out this afternoon and the three of them had a ball!  It was so lovely watching them roam around being proper chickens!  At about 5.30 (after about an hour of out and about) I thought I would try the here is some corn and time to go to bed routine, just to see what happened.  As predicted Buffy they all followed me up to the run, I put the corn in and they all followed.  It was all very calm, very controlled and I just kept talking calmly.  I closed the door, they kept on eating and that was that.  I am still quite stunned at the simplicity of it all.  I do wonder if it will work like that tomorrow!  I plan to give them longer tomorrow afternoon but can't help wondering if now that they have been fooled into going back once they might not fancy it again.  Maybe I am lacking faith/confidence only tomorrow will tell. For tonight I am feeling happy for them and relieved that I am not trying to persuade these lovely hens to go into their run! 

Beewyched

• Joined Feb 2011
  • South Wales
    • tunkeyherd.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 05:58:57 pm »
Sure they'll catch on to the routine pretty quickly - isn't it great to see them out & about?

Mine range all over our holding during the day & put themselves to bed if I'm not about.  Their layers pellets are in a gravity feeder hanging in the corner of their house so can help themselves, but they'll soon come back out & tell me off for not giving them their tea if it's still light  ;D
Tunkey Herd - registered Kune Kune & rare breed poultry - www.tunkeyherdkunekune.com

Buffy the eggs layer

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 09:21:39 pm »
Aw Bikerene,

thats brilliant. ;D I'm glad they were such good girls for you. They will do the same again for two reasons,

1 they learn by association and they now associate being called and going in their run with a food reward
and
2 they dont see their run as a prison they see it as a good place so they wont feel tricked by you.

As you get used to letting them out for more hours you will find that they return to the coop through the day to eat, drink, lay egs and snooze in the sun or shelter from the rain. Yes they like to get out of the house just like we do but they like going home too.

Buffy

Bikerene

• Joined Nov 2010
  • West Lothian
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 10:21:04 pm »
Buffy, thank you so much for your reassurance, your knowledge and sharing your experience it very much appreciated by this learner hen keeper!!

goosepimple

• Joined May 2010
  • nr Lauder, Scottish Borders
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 12:50:32 pm »
Our hens roost in the trees in the garden - just put a wee ladder thingy propped against a tree or two and grab a hen and teach it what to do - once one gets the hang of it they all start doing it and will prefer it to their house - you don't have to let them out / lock them in and its much safer - they go quite high and will be really happy up there - you won't lose them - we've never lost one yet and they've all lived for years - they go up in all weathers and although we left houses open for them, almost all of them liked the trees.  Like someone has already said though, they do learn by association and you need one to do it first.  Once they've learned how to do it there's none of that house cleaning out / rodents / mites problems and you'll find they roost earlier in the evening too.  When they have chicks they teach them how to do it and they sit under their mummies wings swaying around quite happily.  Don't knock it till you've tried it - Mr Fox won't have a chance!  Gossepimple
registered soay, castlemilk moorit  and north ronaldsay sheep, pygmy goats, steinbacher geese, muscovy ducks, various hens, lots of visiting mallards, a naughty border collie, a puss and a couple of guinea pigs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS