Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: incubating chicks  (Read 2269 times)

cookie9

• Joined Feb 2011
incubating chicks
« on: March 12, 2011, 10:17:04 am »
hi all,

iam going to incubate soome chickens, but when they do hatch if happens,  what do they stay in when they are born and how  long ??

acresareace123

• Joined Mar 2010
Re: incubating chicks
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 10:40:02 am »
mine are 24hrs in incubator to dry and strengthen, no food or water needed as they use the sac inside, then put in a hutch or cage (indoors & clean) under a heat pad or broody hen with food water (chick crumb) for 6 weeks reducing temp slowly as they feather up

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 12:20:12 pm »
yes as above but when you remove them from inci you must dip their beaks into the water
sam  :chook:

acresareace123

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 06:07:42 pm »
oh yes, dip the beaks in, and use your finger in front of them to pretend to peck at the seed, they soon learn

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 09:23:55 pm »
never   needed to show them how to drink tbh they do do it themselves after they hatch i leave in inky for a couple hrs to dry up then stick into an indoor rabbit cage.  i got a brinsea brooder in there and they use that for heat . i put pebbles or marbles or stones in thhe water so they dont drown as they can in 1 cm of water so be careful.  how many you hatching?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS