Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Once opened how long do you keep Heptavac for?  (Read 11692 times)

Advertisement

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Once opened how long do you keep Heptavac for?
« on: March 07, 2011, 06:26:02 pm »
I thought that once the seal was broken it lasts for just 10 hours - however a colleague mentioned that you can keep it in the fridge for about 6 months given the seal is only punctured by the needle. Your views?

We injected our sheep just over a few weeks ago and if this is the case it looks like that I have disposed of some Heptavac that would have been okay for the lambs - when born and old enough.
Fishy

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: Once opened how long do you keep Heptavac for?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 08:14:58 pm »
Please look back well dicused JAN 26 TH page 5

robert waddell

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 08:28:25 pm »
we were in the same predicament 2 ewes 3 lambs
our vet recommended using the multishot injector (used for bvd injection)
fit the bottle on the gun use place in fridge then reuse for second dose then discard
when we used it for the second time we purged the vaccine that was in the cylinder
hope this helps if not clear enough just ask

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 08:44:47 am »
Gosh wish I had read this before I bought 2 x 25 dose bottles...:-) we have a multi injector too...

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 09:46:39 am »
We don't have a multi injector but I use a clean needle to draw off the vaccine and leave it in the bottle till we're finished then keep the bottle in the fridge until next time. I wouldn't keep it from say the second lamb dose in May until the boosters in February, but I'd keep it between February and May, if you see what I mean.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 05:07:31 pm »
Thanks all - will look into multi injector - this is a new one to me and will look back at previous posts. I'm right in thinking that the new lambs get their first jab about 3 months folowed by 5 weeks later?

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 05:21:43 pm »
Found the 25th Jan thread - brilliant info. Fishy

Southfields

• Joined Mar 2011
  • Salisbury
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 08:26:56 pm »
We had the same dilemma, spoke to a great non pushy rep from Intervet today and he said it must be discarded after 10 hours as after that the vaccine will not work as they are not allowed under EC regs to put preservatives in.

Find a few people in the same area and share the vaccine so it works out cheaper.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 09:59:17 am »
It we're all using dud vaccine and the sheep are fine, do we really need to use it at all? ???

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 11:12:27 am »
It we're all using dud vaccine and the sheep are fine, do we really need to use it at all? ???

:D :D :D :D
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 11:41:37 am »
with the multi injector the bottle is sealed once fitted   rosemary we used to do the same as you do to prevent contamination but i think once you see the multi shot and how it works you will be a convert as to the non pushy rep monsanto used to have them aswell would you take there advice???     now there is a question for the rep if we are using dud vacine???? :wave: :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS