Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: is she in pain??  (Read 2130 times)

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
is she in pain??
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:03:48 pm »
when cleaning out the neighbouring duck house I heard quite disconcerning noises from the hen house - one of the girls probably laying an egg - it sounded horrid, like little screams! If she is in pain laying eggs, is there anything we can do or is that normal??? I wouldn't want to give birth every day... :chook: :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: is she in pain??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:42:29 pm »
oh dear  :-\ how did the egg look?
all of mine make completely different sounds to each other so it could just be that?
I suppose passing an egg is at least all a fairly ok shape - a human babies head was rather a cruel trick from mama nature I think  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 03:48:55 pm »
perfect egg and not particularly large. I never heard any of the others make a distressed sound in there, just a lot of shoving bedding around and a bit of grunting or gurgeling  :chook: :&>

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 08:44:19 am »
MOrning! I've just been out to fill the feeders for my lot and when I stuck my head into the nest boxes noticed that another hen had tried to take a peek into an occupied box, the hen trying to lay let out a sort of squealy noise, several times that could have sounded like pain but she seemed to be saying "oi, back off this is MINE!"!"
thought of you at the time and wondered if it could have been similar?
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 10:45:10 am »
I hope so!  ;D Thanks, plums  :chook: :&>

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 05:45:19 pm »
Just after reading this I went to let my dogs out and checked the nest through the window - nothing in it.  5 minutes later passed by again and there were four eggs - and not a sound from any of them!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:03:16 pm »
 some times things come out easier than others

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS