Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: WANTED ORPHAN LAMBS DORSET  (Read 2721 times)

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
WANTED ORPHAN LAMBS DORSET
« on: February 24, 2011, 11:21:38 am »
Hello,  is there anyone near to Dorset who have orphan lambs they need to rehome. 

I will eventually like to breed my own, but need to sheep keeping experience before I can do that.   

Sarah

ellisr

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Wales
Re: WANTED ORPHAN LAMBS DORSET
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 03:43:05 pm »
I have a couple of ryeland orphans, but this my not be the best way to start. Orphan lambs are very demanding and need worming, vaccines etc and that can be hard for some on a small 'pet' lamb. Have you asked about to see if you can join in and help out with someones flock to start with and gain a bit experience. I know that if an orphan lamb gets sick or dies it is heart wrenching

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 09:10:01 pm »
Rach,

I've sent you a PM  ;D

Cheers,

Jon

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2011, 09:30:06 pm »
If anyone needs to rehome some Orphan lambs we're available, north Dorset/Somerset/Wiltshire area.

Cheers,

Captain

ramblerskitchen

• Joined Nov 2010
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:48:27 am »
Hi   Thanks for the offer of lambs ellisr.  I have managed to find some a 5 minute walk away.  I spend last night assisting with lambing.  crash course but managed to assist with pulling out 2 lambs.  I also spend some time docking tails, castrating lambs, tube feeding and generally asking as many questions as I could in the few hours I was there.  I will be going again later in the week.

I am collecting 4 lambs this week, there will be kept in my garden shed under a heat lamp for a few weeks before I move them to the field.  Luckily the lady sheep farmer is on hand should any problems arise.

I also collected my first batch of 20 Ross Cobbs yesterday.  They are settling into their new home and will give them a few days before I let them go outside.  Needs to warm up a bit.

What with that, 8 saddlebacks and 14 layers.  I am really excited.  6 months ago I was still dreaming of finding some land to rent.  It goes to show that sometimes good things do happen.   So excited

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS