Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help and ideas to obtain land  (Read 2159 times)

Teresa

Help and ideas to obtain land
« on: February 28, 2011, 07:30:18 pm »
Hi

Very unsure where to post this but i'll start here. My boyfriend and I are trying find and fund the purchase of approximately 12 acres of land. We're having terrible trouble. Does anyone have any ideas where we could obtain funding (we have £40k but probably need another £60k as were looking in cambridgeshire/Bedfordshire), know of any farmers in that area who'd be interested in selling a piece of land or know of anyone who'd be interested in investing into an alpaca business? We have £76k in animals but they aren't seen as equity and have tried banks and building societys.

Any ideas?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Help and ideas to obtain land
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 07:46:06 pm »
Don't have any ideas other than those you have tried but have you thought of trying to rent somewhere - at least as a stop gap?

Welcome to the forum, by the way, I hope you'll stay, I adore alpacas and would love to see some photos of yours.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 08:04:51 pm »
Bit of a long shot but have a look on here we found 5 acres through land share http://www.landshare.net  :wave:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Teresa

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:28:03 pm »
The past year we've looked and found nothing to rent that is suitable. Alot have been equestrian properties so are way out of our budget.  Not tried landshare yet so will give them a go  :)
5 young due this year to adults that are scattered across the country.

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:39 am »
Don't know where in Cambs you might be willing to go, but cheffins have two plots of pasture totalling ~11acres for rent on their website at the moment:
http://www.cheffins.co.uk/rural/search.asp

We got our place from one of their auctions (6 acres+house) and they often seem to have the best rural property around here.

Nina

• Joined Sep 2010
  • North/Mid wales
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 09:55:01 am »
Have you tried the AMC www.amconline.co.uk - They're more understanding about values of animals etc as they (generally!) understand farming...

Can't help with land, other than approaching big landowners if you know of any suitable pieces (but farmers don't like selling land!) - Or look for land for sale in bigger lots and see if vendor may consider splitting as you'll likely pay slightly more per acre for smaller acreage...

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS