Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Exhausted before getting to work!  (Read 3272 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Exhausted before getting to work!
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:11:53 pm »
Lets face it .....most "normal" people probably get up, eat breakfast while watching breakfast telly and toddle off to work.

Me?  Well, on work days, I get up, gulp down half a cup of tea, and race to the farm (now 5 miles away)  I feed  20 farm cats! have to  do them first, cos the hens would eat their biscuits.  Goats are all yelling for their breakfast,  so feed those - 12 with the new kid.  Two piglets are next, having heard me they get up.  Small pony and sheep are next, quick muck out of the pony if its too wet for him to go out.  Then down to the hen sheds, let out 60 plus hens and banties, put out food and water for them.  Water for all the goats, pigs etc.  Put food and hay out for the llama.  Put out the eggs for sale near the gate.

By now, hubby has fed the 8 big ponies, and the 5 dogs, and is yelling that if I want a lift to work, then I must be ready now, or I can walk - a good hours walk!  Rush up to the shed to get changed, have to wear my wellies as far as the gate cos of the mud, change into work boots, get in van, then realise have mud off wellies on trousers .....oh well, will have to dry and rub off, no time to go and change.....and this morning I had mud on my jacket too.

Arrive at work about 8.45am looking rather dishevelled, and specs of mud on face, and feeling like I had already done a days work.  Lunchtime walk the hours walk back to the farm, and start again with the animals. 

On mornings like this one, when its snowing hard and freezing cold, you do wonder what it would be like to be "normal"!!!

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
Re: Exhausted before getting to work!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 11:35:51 pm »
I know what you mean - but normal is boring - that's my excuse, roll on some dry weather
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 08:29:16 am »
I did that for something like 20 years but my final solution to the exhaustion was to give up the day job and live without most of what it bought me ;) and reduce what it cost me too (financially it's expensive to work :o )

I don't have an OH to help but maybe you could work towards building up savings and eventually leave the ratrace or at least volunteer to run the farming side while he brings in the income ???
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 08:54:30 am »
That's what we are doing, Ellied. Now that I can claim my pension I am going to "retire". I sometimes wonder what it would be like to be responsible for nothing but yourself. Not as much as a goldfish in a bowl. :-\

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 12:15:48 pm »
Having breakfast is vital to give you the energy to last through the day.

I have a full Welsh Breakfast as soon as I get up.

A cup of black coffee (2 sugars) and about 4 Benson and Hedges ;D
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2011, 12:20:51 pm »
being exhausted is no fun..... however it sounds lovely to me to be able to have all those animals, what a great reason for getting out of bed in the morning.
I hate getting out of bed but I can do it for the pony without any problem...the days its just the 'rat race job' its a real chore.

Claire

Sandy

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 10:30:40 pm »
I was going to add, the more you do the better you feel, when I get up late 8.30am, it takes me so much more longer to do anything and I feel a bit half hearted about doing anything, mind you, when I had children and pets a job and a large house and very large garden, I was never too tierd. THe more you do the better you feel, wakes up your brain!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS