Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Constant rain .....  (Read 1344 times)

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
Constant rain .....
« on: February 21, 2011, 11:23:58 pm »
and heavy with it, and even snow this week.  Wish it would stop - dry frosty weather would be preferable.  Fields are so muddy, animals are fed up and very hungry.  My clothes are constantly caked with thick mud, or soaking wet with the rain, or both!  I was moaning about the colour of the eggs, after the hens have waddled through the mud and into the nest boxes.  Then I went in the local animal feed store on Saturday, and whilst waiting I noticed a tray of eggs for sale ......could not take my eyes off them, cos in comparison, my "dirty" free range eggs suddenly seemed clean :D  I am wasting my time (and bedding) cleaning the hens sheds out,  it looks as bad as ever by next morning.

Roll on Spring (a dry one)

Sylvia

• Joined Aug 2009
Re: Constant rain .....
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:09:37 am »
And so say all of us....

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 12:22:50 pm »
I was thinking just the same today! only cleaned the coops out saturday, they were spotless with lovely clean straw and shavings. today, collected eggs that were thick with mud  ::)
children on half term, am at a loss with what to do with them as going out costs a fortune, staying in they want to strangle each other. have had them stripping beds today  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 06:57:03 pm »
I told the pigs today "Spring will be here soon!" ... they just looked at me, then splashed me with mud!  cheaper than a face pack (though a little more fragrant!)

the chickens are thoroughly fed up. I gave them yet another "plank" to help them keep out the mud (which reminds me, better go check that they can actually get back in the coop, it was abit high!)
Little Blue

Sandy

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:31:39 pm »
Well its been nice today so fingers crossed for it to get dry soon!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS