Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What a day!  (Read 6664 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
Re: What a day!
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2011, 08:32:49 pm »
i spend a lot of time round rivers and lakes (im an angler) and my nightmare would be finding a floater!!!

Sandy

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2011, 08:33:45 pm »
 ::)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 08:45:12 pm »
oh dear there are 2 ways to take that one ::) ???,

whoops me and my weird sense of humor (sorry)  ;) :wave:

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2011, 08:51:34 pm »
bulletproof vest for next birthday? ::)

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2011, 08:54:34 pm »
I am just outside of Birmingham in Lichfield - I have to say I hate driving in,I find all big cities intimidating!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:52 pm »
i spend a lot of time round rivers and lakes (im an angler) and my nightmare would be finding a floater!!!

Now I used to be a angler , years ago , and me and my dad used to fish the canals round London a lot .
 This particular day , we went to the cut near Greenford I think it was, but maybe it was nearer Northolt , wherever . It was summer , and the weather had been hot and sultry for some days .
 We set up early , just as the light was breaking through the darkness , and the mist rolled across the water like in a Hammer House of Horrors film . I could imagine Dracular gliding along the footpath with his cape flowing out and blood dripping from his mouth .
Anyway , we set up just along from our normal spot , as we saw some fish activity about 30 feet or so along the cut  . We sat and fished for some hours , and had a good catch of fish in the net . Some really good roach , a load of gudgeon, a couple of rudd, some bream and a huge perch  and a tench or two .
 We were  sitting there having a cup of tea and some sandwiches , when there was  lot of activity over the other side of the canal . A few blokes speaking in lowered voices , and then a small row boat came along with another couple of blokes in it .
Dad and me just sat there fishing and chatting whilst drinking our tea and then there was a shout from one of the blokes over the other side , they all rushed over to where the man was , and the blokes in the boat started to poke at something with  a long pole with a hook on the end .
 Dad and me continued to sit and watch as the drama unfolded . After a minute or two something appeared in the water , at the end of the pole . It was hard to see what it was , but the men all stood back a bit from the edge of the canal . The men in the boat leaned over the side and grabbed hold of something , they threw a rope to one of the men on the bank , and he pulled on it and the boat slowly glided towards the bank .
Lots of low murmurings filled the air as the men on the bank leaned over the edge and grabbed at the object in the water . They heaved and up it came ..... it was a body .
 It was the body a  of a man . He had been in the water for some time and his skin was a strange translucent whitish colour . It was obvious that fish had been feeding on his face as part of it was missing . On seeing this , one of the men was very ill , the others laughed and clear voices could be heard for the first time .
I was trying to hear what they were saying but it was then that I was overcome by the most revolting smell I had ever sensed . It was the smell of the man they had just pulled from his resting place in the depths of the water . We were talking to the men later, and they said he was the 5th one that week that they had found in that stretch of water . Who he was , we never knew , but he is forever known now as Canal number 5   .
 We gave that stretch of water a miss for a few weeks after that day .
To this day, I still think of canal number 5, when I smell maggots .

cheers

Russ

Sandy

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2011, 10:01:15 pm »
RUSTY, I have smelt death and its horrid and hard to forget!!!  I worship what life I have and would hate to end up as a topic of converstation...poor sods!!!

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2011, 10:10:40 pm »
[quote but I hate the thought of finding one hanging somewhere.... freaks me out that does..

Thats a side of RUSTYME we dont see often  ;) :wave:
[/quote]

He's just showing his sensitive side  ;D

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 10:23:47 pm »
Blimey Russ, I thought there was going to be a punchline about the perfume Chanel No 5.............. Must be the anaesthetic  :)

The sad thing about the shootings are that they aren't even big news on the telly  ??? ??? You'd think that they would be but perhaps it's the times we live in.

Truth is, there are a lot of nasties around and frankly, if one of these scumbags gets nailed then it aint the end of the world. The big problem is that innocent passers by get involved and they always seem to come off worst. The shootings have happened in broad daylight too.

Scary.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2011, 11:33:01 pm »
yes I know what it smells like Sandy , that did actually happen when I was a kid ...and it is sad that no one ever knew who the bloke was , what a way to go .

I hate the way some people pop their cloggs in towns , and don't get discovered till someone complains of the smell .
I didn't put the channel No5 punchline in on purpose Ian ... :D I thought it may gross some people out a bit too much ... but it is how my sick mind works, sadly ...(yours too I see mate ... ::) ;D ;D ;D) .

Same sort of thing happens in Moss side and along the road in Liverpool , shootings and stabbings , fairly regular things these days . Only the odd one makes the news now . But if you look back into victorian history , the number of deaths by murder , mostly unsolved, was unbelievable .
Glad I live in the country . Just my luck Peter Rabbit carries an Uzi now days though ...

cheers

Russ

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2011, 12:04:38 am »
I hope you didn't eat the fish you had caught Russ  :o
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2011, 08:12:47 am »
Hi Ian - hope you have a restful recovery  :wave:

where I grew up (near wembley till I was 8) a lot of the asian ladies were found in the bottom of the reservior bottom of our garden. not sure if they were 'unfaithful' or found to be carrying a baby of the wrong gender but it was a weekly occurance at one point  :(  such a horrible childhood memory.

A nurse friend of mine, when we were training we had to go on the ambulances for some shifts, she went to a hanging. Was traumatised for ages.

Two days ago, a tiny village here was cordoned off due to a 'shooting'. We were all a bit panicked, not sure if loose gunman was walking round taking shots (a la hungerford style) but it turned out it was a suicide, 38 he was (my age) recession again  >:(
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Sandy

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »
Look what Rhum brought to me today ::) I saw Rhum our Chocolate lab looking at me with these in her mouth, after reading all t his my first thought was a pair of false teeth, looks like a Rabbits head but never the less, spooked me at first!!!!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 07:00:36 pm by Sandy »

Sandy

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2011, 07:02:30 pm »
TIny photo as I am having trouble with the nice big ones ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS