Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi from North Lanarkshire  (Read 5137 times)

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: Hi from North Lanarkshire
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 02:20:52 pm »
Hi welcome from Brittany.  Our land is at the bottom of a valley so most of the holding is too wet for sheep.  Great for ducks though especially in the winter. 

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 11:02:35 pm »
any hints to tasty lambs for fattening?
Hello Di from Sally in not-quite-Scotland (just about 20 miles from the border)
Like everyone says you'll have loads of fun choosing your sheep breed and everyone has their own reasons for preferring their own favourite - but your question prompted me to share how very tasty (tender, lean, juicy and sweet), easy to manage and fast growing our Charollais crosses have turned out to be.  Hardly native or rare, but definitely have their benefits.  They can have a tendency to be thin-skinned (fleeced) though, so we were advised to get a tup with a woolly head, which should ensure that the lambs have enough of a covering for the Cumbrian weather.  Seems to work, but we do use the wee plastic macs unless it's really dry and warm.
Envious of your ducks - mink took my Muscovies  :-[
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2011, 11:07:32 pm »
Hello and welcome from just north of Lanarkshire- outside of Falkirk.

We keep dairy goats, and have chickens, ducks, and two of last years lambs which are due for the freezer shortly.

Beth

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS