Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: smallholding/farm gate price for eggs  (Read 21586 times)

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
Re: smallholding/farm gate price for eggs
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2011, 10:23:11 pm »

I charge £1.40 for half a dozen of our lovely hens' eggs. I reckon that's cheap considering the size of some of them and the generally high quality.

I struggle to get this factor across to my wife who takes them in and sells them to her colleagues at the school she teaches at. She seems determined to virtually give them away.

I, too, had a look at what the supermarkets were charging and our price is competitive with their 'bog standard' free range eggs which are, I'm sure, inferior to ours.

We need to remember that we're supplying a premium product, not a bargain basement make-do.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2011, 09:24:03 am »
I so agree with ambriel. At least our free range hens actually, well, free range  ;D Don't undersell your premium product.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2011, 11:11:07 am »
Agree Ambriel, I don't understand why some people are more or less giving them away, it may be more of a hobby but still you should sell them at a price thats in line with the going retail price, and possibly more expensive because as Rosemary says they are proper free range eggs.  Saw someone charging a pound per 6 down the road yesterday, again thats not doing me any favours at all, alright for them as they have some free range chickens in an outbuilding on their country house which is probably worth a million pounds and I doubt it matters whether they even break even.

robert waddell

« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2011, 11:25:27 am »
it seams you are missing the point with all this selling your rival is selling at less than you so he will sell out before you do you get the odd sale when he has none and moan about it if all were charging the same it is no longer a free market but a cartell and this country hates cartells unless your name is tesco asda morrison etc etc

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2011, 12:25:48 pm »
THey are not really rival sellers, but I just don't think those people help because the general public then think that everyone should charge those prices for their eggs when in reality they are just doing it to get rid of surplus eggs.  THe point is they are not charging enough.  I'm not saying everyone should charge the same, just that people should price them competitively with the equivalent eggs you would buy in a shop.

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2011, 01:25:59 pm »
Hi I sell mine for £1.00 per half dozen mixed sizes, and duck eggs for £1.50 though I dont get much call for these. We sell to passing trade on a small lane and I dont leave an honesty box as I like to be able to talk to people. I know that some will think that is too cheap but we will hopefully be selling surplus fruit, veg and herbs this year so I look upon the eggs as the maggot on the end of the line! A bigger concern than ours in the next village has just packed up he was selling for £2.75 a box.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »
How big is a box?

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2011, 01:51:22 pm »
oh sorry i should have said half a dozen!

robert waddell

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 01:53:14 pm »
thats why he is packing up  TO DEAR

andy harris

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 05:10:45 pm »
We charge £1.20 for half doz....in birmingham :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS