Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: smallholding/farm gate price for eggs  (Read 21588 times)

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
smallholding/farm gate price for eggs
« on: February 21, 2011, 08:53:58 am »
how much do people reasonably charge for 6 home grown eggs

just starting to get to the point where the chooks are producing more than we consume by a substantial margin and looking to sell some on to help with the food bill.

checked supermarkets etc and they seem to be about £1.70 for free range eggs in medium/large.

was wondering what others charge round the country so i can get a feel for a reasonable pricing point...

chezlouise1980

• Joined Nov 2010
Re: smallholding/farm gate price for eggs
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:13:03 am »
My local farmer sells 6 eggs for £1.75 and they are always sold out quickly. We're in Ayrshire, Scotland

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:18:16 am »
I charge £1 for 6 here in Devon. 

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:25:34 am »
I charged £1 for 6 last year - but it's too cheap, it's just convenient change-wise.
But we only sell 1 or 2 or maybe 3 half dozens each week.
I think a price increase is definietly in order but I am trying to decide between £1.20 and £1.50

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:27:53 am »
i'll be interested to here more replys

based on my food bill i am thinking £1.50 for 6 eggs but wanted to see what other charged

its wet and miserable here at the minute so work was cancelled so i'm thinking about chickens again, oops.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 09:29:54 am »
£1.50 per half dozen and can't keep up supply.

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 09:34:19 am »
part of my dilema about starting selling is not keeping up with demand as i don't want to expand my flock just now. currently we only have about 2doz spare a week so am only planning on starting with friends and family but still dont want to lose money on them.

production is going up by the week though so will have more soon :-)

meebh

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:23:01 am »
we recently put ours up to £1.20 and it hasn't put people off. 

I do find you get lots of 5p pieces though......the lady in the school office must love Monday morning when my daughter goes in with her dinner money in 5p and 20p pieces  ;D

:wave:

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 10:39:41 am »
we charge £1 for half a dozen, white cloud bit of blue sky but a very cold wind here in moray this morning  :wave:

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 10:54:25 am »
I've just done some projected figures on egg production, based on 250 eggs per hen per year and 25p per egg (£1.50/ per half dozen). Let's just say it washes its face but it won't make me a fortune. If you cost in my time, I'd be working for less than nothing. At £1 a half dozen, I break even IF feed prices stay the same and I exclude my time.

I think we need to be careful to properly value what we produce and not undersell - one, it undervalues what we do and two, it makes life harder for small producers who are trying to make a living.

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 10:59:01 am »
I've put mine up to £1 for half a dozen this year, but I lose all my customers over the winter cos of no eggs and it takes a while to build up again.   We're in the middle of nowhere and so no actual passing traffic, other than those locals who use it as a short cut  ::)....and all the farm traffic from either side.

Very misty, wet and mild here - BUT Hubby noticed the first crocus in flower this morning  ;D  and the Daffs are very nearly, almost out  :D :D
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 11:17:48 am »
I just put my prices up to £ 1.20  :chook:and £ 1.60 :&> due to the hike in feed costs

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:19:57 am »
We have just put ours up from £1.20 for 6 to £1.40, for hen eggs and still £1 for 6 bantam eggs - that will go up to £1.20 once they are a bit bigger - have some just coming into lay with tiny eggs.  We are in south Scotland with some passing trade and some regulars who come quite a way  (for mixed colour eggs and because they can see the hens free ranging all over the place).  I try to keep at about the same price level as other free range farm-gate egg sellers locally.  I wish I had put the hen eggs up to £1.50 as I'm sure people have forgotten how much they were last year  ;D
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Snapper

• Joined Mar 2010
    • walbut house farm
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 12:33:37 pm »
£1.30 for 6 mixed 55g to 68g in weight. £1.60 for  6 large over 70g and 80p for small pullet and Bantam eggs. We also do mixed colours which means we're diffeernt round here, which I'm sure menas more eggs sold. I try to make sure that teach box has a least one white or blue egg  as well as various shades of brown.

It's cheaper than Free-Range in shops but we still get a few people not paying the correct amount.

We've someone who leaves £1 for 6 large on Monday lunchtimes. Younger son on look-out now while playing on x-box in front room. Got to make use of him during half-term!!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:00 pm »
ok thats another good point

do people find honesty boxes work

not for where i am now but if i move it would be an option possibly!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS