Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: smallholding/farm gate price for eggs  (Read 21607 times)

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
Re: smallholding/farm gate price for eggs
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 12:40:17 pm »
we charge 75p 1/2 dozen we have 24 laying chickens selling the eggs covers food/bedding for 42 chickens and selling eggs/chicks from breeders pays for extras ie building more pens
sam :chook:

manian

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 12:48:20 pm »
hi we charge £1 for 6 for hens
what do people charge for turkey eggs
Mx

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 01:31:45 pm »
I don't have any to sell (yet!) but am paying £1 for half a dozen locally in Fife and there is a supply to a local shop that retails at £1.09 so they wouldn't be able to charge more and nor would I ::)

At that is it viable when you have to consider purchase and setup costs as well as the time off chickens might have, any illnesses/losses etc?

Or am I better growing more veg and paying the £1.  I won't buy off supermarkets as they're over £1.70, but then I won't buy bagged lettuce leaves etc either cos I'd rather grow my own ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 01:33:47 pm »
unless someones producing very large scale or has chickens that live on fresh air I don't see how £1 for 6 is possible...

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 01:38:41 pm »
We charge 1.80 per half dozen, and find that we have no problems selling to work colleagues in Edinburgh and some neighbours directly. Especially town folk love the dark yellow eggs and that they are only yesterday's eggs. Most people here selling at the road-end/farmgate sell for a lot less, but with poultry feed at record heights it's just about breaking even for us. I would not trust a honesty box at the road end, for us it is just too far to chase after non-payers...

Only problem we have is that when OH is on a few days holiday we immediately end up with an egg mountain, have about 20odd laying hens, so about 18 to 20 eggs per day....

Just making ice cream/custards/cakes for freezing to turn (egg) mountain into molehill....

Ellied - nobody makes a profit if charging only a pound for 6 eggs, and I would check out where these eggs are coming from, possibly caged hens? If you are by yourself having a small coup with a trio of nice looking birds would keep you in eggs and a few to sell/barter, but it will not make you a profit. Having said that, I could probably buy most of my food cheaper in the supermarket, but not at the quality I produce myself! There's nothing better than an egg for breakfast that was still warm when collected!

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 01:59:56 pm »
I've just done some projected figures on egg production, based on 250 eggs per hen per year and 25p per egg (£1.50/ per half dozen). Let's just say it washes its face but it won't make me a fortune. If you cost in my time, I'd be working for less than nothing. At £1 a half dozen, I break even IF feed prices stay the same and I exclude my time.

I think we need to be careful to properly value what we produce and not undersell - one, it undervalues what we do and two, it makes life harder for small producers who are trying to make a living.

Very true, thats the trouble, if there is someone in your area practically giving them away its not really a good thing, its actually better for all the small producers to charge a price that reflects the work gone into it as well as feed prices etc.  I'm fed up of supermarkets doing none of the work but getting all the profit.

The future has to be proper free range eggs supplied to the local person, people who are buying free range eggs from Tesco's don't know the half of it.  Anyone whos taking sales from supermarkets is doing a great job and keep it up. 

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 02:05:47 pm »
we charge £1 for 6 and some places near here charge even less  :o  We are selling several dozen a week now.

Honesty boxes - we are on a road that gets used as a rat run (prison and local food growers nearby) and we get a lot of passing trade - However, we found that people still knocked on the door to give us the money adn let us know they were taking eggs/plums/tomatoes etc so now I rarely leave the box out and we get door knockers instead.
When we first started selling at the gate we did get warned by a neighbour that some of the local kids had 'history' of chucking eggs at cars when eggs were sold by previous owners of our house, so far that didn't happent to us!
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

northfifeduckling

• Joined Jan 2009
  • Fife
    • North Fife Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 02:07:56 pm »
all I am asking is that feed and birdie extras (bedding, grit, worming) are paid for by the contributions I get for eggs. At £ 1 per half dozen I pay on top. Maybe the farms who sell at that price grow their own feed? :&>

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 02:49:10 pm »
£1:50 for 6 here in Derbyshire, that's hens or quail eggs.
we've just started with bantam eggs, but so far had them ourselves.  I gave 3 to a regular 6-a-week customer for his three young kids.... in the hope he might have some as "extra" now and again, at a reduced rate!!

I sell them at work, occassionally at the door (we have a sign on the gate) and to friends and family.  It is no way self supportin during the winter, and we have had more young beaks to feed since last summer, but it all helps and one day.... :)
Little Blue

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 03:14:54 pm »
We charge £1.30 a half-dozen and have had no quibbles. We just about break even which is not really good enough but people aren't used to paying what food is really worth. I have a suspicion this may change in the fairly near future.

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 04:26:44 pm »
when I start selling my eggs they will be comparable with supermarket prices if not more.  I'm not selling them on the cheap and will gladly justify the price with my customers as well as educate them on the so called 'free range eggs' from supermarkets.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 04:44:09 pm »
In the UK at the moment we have a serious egg glut, due in part to the changes in cages (Turning over to enhanced cages).

I read that farmers are getting 33p a dozen for them.

I charge £2.50 a dozen for eating.

£20 a dozen for hatching.
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 05:38:37 pm »
A lady came for eggs last week - someone on the bus had told her about them. As she was leaving, she suddenly pointed and exclaimed  " is that the chickens?". I said it was and she was so made up, it really made me smile.

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2011, 08:25:50 pm »
The ones at the local shop are supplied and labelled as Free Range by Broxburn Browns - they also supply caged eggs under the same brand (without the FR label obviously ;) )  The shop charge £1.09 for the FR ones and under £1 for the others tho I didn't look closely at them..  I bought 6 today so know they're still the same price.  This is not a supermarket just a village store so I am guessing they have to add a markup from what they actually paid but if the supplier is selling both kinds they probably supply on a large scale and can afford to keep prices lower than a back garden producer ???

I'd still rather have my own so I know what hen laid it on what day but I don't know what I'm doing so am bound to make some mistakes at first, and I don't have spare cash to afford yet another expensive hobby for very long if I can't sell on excess at some kind of profitable rate to cover the running costs and just get my own egg use for free around the edges :)  And if locals are paying that for FR labelled Scottish produced eggs then I don't know what they'll pay me, hence my interest in this thread..

Sorry, just a novice on the egg side - my brother had chucks when he was a teenager and I fed them and helped find eggs etc but I wasn't old enough to know much.  I also had 2 ducks but didn't like duck eggs, and sadly the fox got the girls so that was it for my poultry experience, over before the age of 11 ::)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2011, 09:42:34 pm »
Ellie - your biggest expense would be the henhouse/coop and any fencing/run. If you can pick up anything secondhand give it a good wash with VirconX or similar, the treat with Creosote, inside and outside too, or paint outside. That way you get rid of any nasty bugs that may live in the house, including red mite (that's what the CReosote is for). Better to look for Onduline roof, rather than felt.

We use a homemade run for small numbers of hens, and a small house on wheels (old kiddie buggy), so one person can move it daily. Run is made of blue water pipe nailed onto wooden base square, so looks like a half circle, then attached chickenwire to cover. Very easy to make and light to move about.

As for getting hens, I was astonished when I saw that bog standard hybrid hens now go for about 15 pounds at PoL! We now breed our own replacements. But even with three hens you would get between 15 and 20 eggs per week in spring/summer and probably through their first winter too... so unless you have a number of regular customers you will need to develop lots of eggy recipes....

We sell between 8 and 13 boxes per week @ 1.80 per half dozen, and that covers our costs, including feeding the young replacement stock. I don't think we will ever recoup the costs of the electric netting and the initial costs of the henhouses/garden sheds we use. But I haven't bought an egg in over 4 years from a shop!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS