Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fence..Mains or Battery?  (Read 12410 times)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
Re: Electric fence..Mains or Battery?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 10:12:38 pm »

Well folks yet again big thanks for all the advice and guidance. Its been refreshing to  read so much information and see how all you experienced folk keep your pigs contained………..Were going for the half inch tape its windy being at the top of a glen lol, and can now see this may be a problem with the thicker tape.

As for our 3 sides of existing stock fence, they are strong and very well made but for my own piece of mind and animal containment I think barbed wire or a single electric tape at low level is in order.

Cheers
Dave

blonde

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 02:37:05 pm »
Or you can use both,  I have some  pens set up with both.    the tape stretches and may b tha tis because we have it stretched in a larger paddock, I dont really know but when it touches the ground it shorts out.....escape time......Hooray!!!   Ilike the wire just put a pair of wire strainers on it, attach it with outriggers and away you go

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2011, 01:26:32 pm »
Intersting that both Blondie and Stevie G have mentioned horse tape stretching and sagging to the ground, which I have never seen or heard of. 

Both of you are in Australia I believe - is Aussie tape made of differerent stuff?, or maybe as in the UK we barely get above 20C for the vast majority of the year, the tape never gets hot enough to sag ;D  Anyone in the UK seen sagging tape?

Just had a quick look at cost of bare wire vs. horse tape - 200M wire £15.30, 200m white tape £13.60 (www.rappa.co.uk).

Just thought I would make this point(have lacked time lately to reply as too busy), but I have never used white tape here in Oz, only in the UK and if the posts are banged in well enough and the tape isn't tighten enough, then it sags(not my doing!)

Blondes in Western Oz where it gets to 47 degrees C some times, so that may aid to the problem of tape saging.

I used to get hot air ballons flying over my sows in Dorset and it scared the hell out of them, causing them to run through fences, so barbed wire who have been a night mare if used and have never needed it any way, which is why I also don't see the need.
Happy pigging to you one and all, in a beatiful cold  Uk. ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 01:32:05 pm by Stevie G »

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2011, 02:05:43 pm »
White tape stretches but then so does ordinary fencing wire and just now and then it has to be tightened to be like  a guitar string.    It  gives a good boot as well and this is what you want when it comes to keeping pigs in.....

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS