Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Electric fence..Mains or Battery?  (Read 12427 times)

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
Electric fence..Mains or Battery?
« on: February 17, 2011, 04:45:03 pm »
Hi folks sorry in advance if this has been asked before!!……….Just been down the paddock to realistically see where we could section a area of ground for pigs using electric fence.

The area we would like to use approx 1 acre and is part of a 3 acre paddock all stock fenced…….basically the 1 acre bit would be a division straight across the larger paddock at one end so would  have a perimeter on 3 sides with the existing stock fence.

We have absolutely no experience using electric fences and the best method to use. We really wont to get this done correctly from the start and not have to replace in a year or two due to our own inexperience.

So my questions being………. should we go for the battery or mains options for the electric fence?……….We have a large barn central to the paddock that we will use for the pigs housing needs this has electricity connected. I’ve also seen mostly with horses white tape electric fence is that what we would use?……Or is it plain wire?…..Is electric fence ok with very young piglets?…”Don’t wont cooked noses” :(

Hope I’ve been clear enough!!

Thanks in advance any help much appreciated as we hope to have things up and running come April!…Cant wait :yum:

Cheers
Dave

HappyHippy

Re: Electric fence..Mains or Battery?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 04:53:49 pm »
Mains is definately better (you don't need to remember about batteries ;))
White tape is much easier for them to see than the wire. You might have to 'train' them to the tape if they've not been used to it (they can sometimes go the wrong way ie. forward through it, rather than reverse away from it)
And the only other thing I'd add is a single strand of barbed wire along the very bottom of your stock fencing (basically at ground level) to prevent them from rooting under it and escaping that way ! Unless you're going to electric fence inside it to keep them back from it)
HTH
Karen x

infield

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 04:57:55 pm »
hi we used to use battery for the pigs & horses, but as the battery goes down, so does the shock in the fence, resulting in animals with no respect for the fencing.
now we use the mains, with no problems so far, & its much cheaper to run (about £20 per year) the most important & sometimes overlooked part of electric fencing is the earth. for a mains energiser you should be using a 2m earth stake.
we use tape for the horses & stranded wire for the pigs

good luck! :)

HappyHippy

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 05:00:55 pm »
I forgot to say - run 2 strands of tape ! 1 at about 8 inches from the ground and the other at 24 inches (or thereabouts depending on the size of the pigs) just to save them jumping over or going under  ;)

robert waddell

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2011, 05:09:04 pm »
good advice given already you should go and see others ideas before you take the plunge
mains is better now depends on your future plans get a powerful one   also concider how your pigs are going to be moved they will not come over the line where the fence line is when switched of enjoy your pigs when you get them

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 05:39:32 pm »
Hi Dave,

Whichever system you choose, remember to clear all vegetation under/touching the wire or tape otherwise the current is sent into the ground and not along the tape etc. Therefore reducing the current/efficacy of the system. 

Hope you saw the first episode of 'It's a Farmer's Life For Me' - that illustrated perfectly how not to do it!!!!

8)

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 06:34:16 pm »
IF you have the option - mains - the units are cheaper (they don't have to be so cleaver in eeking out battery power),  and no batteries.

There is a good guide on the rappa site to fencing.

http://www.rappa.co.uk/fencing-guide.cfm

Oh and definately horse tape, the pigs see it better, and you see it better to check that it's all in tact without having to walk the fence!

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Glentarki

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Perth/Fife Border
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:27:53 pm »
Thanks so much for all your advice explained perfectly!………Its definitely going to be mains and does make sense for our long term plans. Thanks for the link Oakland pigs im slowly starting to get the picture!!

Another question re the energiser unit’s, the price does differ considerably as does the size….Can anyone recommend a good all-round unit size and price I should be looking at that would be suitable for the area of ground we have and pigs?…..Off to check out some info tomorrow at a few local farm sale outlets but there is nothing better than having a little insight ;)…So once again big thanks all

Cheers
Dave

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:43:34 pm »
Mains - as everyone has already said. We use wire rather than tape, but have an outside fence of chickenwire, about 10cm from the wires. Just so that when they are young and get used to it they will not run through the fence. So far never had any escapes, but needs planning when you come to load them to go to abttoir, as they will not cross the fence line without something covering it.

princesspiggy

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 07:16:22 pm »
we bought a mains, but didnt realise it couldnt be used near a fuse box, so that ruled out one field it was intended for. embarrassingly we have never used it in 2 years, got as far as buying the lead out cables. they need digging under the ground or our car would be driving over them everyday. i will get it going this year but i think the battery type would have been better.  does anyone know if the small battery electric fencers (very little blue boxes) can be repaired as both of ours are not working. there are bargains at farm auctions!

robert waddell

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 07:31:34 pm »
what is wrong with it being next the fuse box
you may be lucky in getting a working unit at a farm sale(not so many sales now) but two or three duds and you have a new one

blonde

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 12:58:44 pm »
White tape is not necessary for igs, the wire is just fine.  The white tape stretches after a while an touchs the ground and I found it was just more work, so switch to  plain wire and also to  mains power.    Battery is not as strong as mains power.   If it is shorting the battery flattens in no time where as mains stays high  but shows by a beeper unit in  the main box that there  is a short.   You can also you a hand held piece that is a directional finder and takes time out of finding the problem other wise you would be there all day looking for the problem.

some do 5 km others do 200 km.   Depends on how big you want to get.  Whether you have  3 strands or only one and how you set your fence up to work properly 

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 01:20:53 pm »
White tape is not necessary for igs, the wire is just fine.  The white tape stretches after a while an touchs the ground and I found it was just more work,

Interestingly we find the opposite.  With white tape, you can scan an enclosed area by eye and see that it is all in tact, and that the pigs have not rooted earth over it.  Our pigs seem to respond (learn) quicker.  With plain wire, you need to walk the perimeter to check.  We have not found white tape to stretch, and have tape that is several years old without any problems.

Blonde - not doubting your experience - just adding mine - your pays your money...! ;D
www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Stevie G

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 02:13:45 pm »
Certainly white tape is very useful around a training paddock, but once they are trained the use becomes unnecessary and an extra cost. Surely the electric fence posts are a good enough indicator to a pig to exactly where the fence is????
Yes the white tape does sag, but can be easily tighten(especially if you have isolators on each paddock).
Certainly would never use barbed wire to put around a pig pen(I know both Blonde and Happy Hippy use it) as it is totally unnecessary and I would have thought harmful to any animal that tries to run through it.
I suppose it just hinges on what you prefer.
As to the battery or mains I've used both and yes the mains is stronger, but batteries(heavy duty liesure batteries) work equal aswell and don't become a problem if you carry spares and you continually charge them systematically.
It will also depend on how conveniently place your mains supply is and the extra cost it may incur?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 02:24:56 pm by Stevie G »

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 02:53:36 pm »
We use mains for our fence - and we also use the white tape forour pig paddock. Apart from anything else I can see the whte tape easier than the wire! We haven't found sagging to be a problem with the tape.
I wouldn't fancy lugging a battery around and would probably not be organised enough to keep an appropriate charging system. Also given sod's law I am sure I would notice the electric was failing when it was p*ssing down with rain....  ;)
Tish

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS