Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: They've gone!  (Read 4386 times)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
They've gone!
« on: February 27, 2011, 09:45:42 pm »
Well, over 18 months after embarking on our pig adventure, the first two have finally gone to the abbatoir.  Very strange feeling; I made sure that I hadn't got too fond of these two, and, actually, they were complete sh*tbags sometimes, but I could blub just thinking about it!

Loading went fine, did all the paperwork first thing this morning and made sure I had the right directions.  Bloke at the abbatoir could see that it was the first time and even asked 'if they were pets' - he could probably see it in my eyes!  Anyway, never to make life simple, they were difficult in getting into the pens but after 10 minutes of gentle persuasion they eventually went in. I had one last look and then had to just go.  Got home and mucked all of their stable out - quite ineresting doing some self-psych analysis, but it's almost as if I didn't want any trace of them left on the farm.

Living the 'good life' certainly has some sh*tty bits!

Ho hum - they'd better be delicious and worth all of the blood and sweat (and tears)!

patchy1990

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: They've gone!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2011, 10:01:42 pm »
I know how you feel! The two gilts i have at the moment aren't for meat, but there piglets will be! And although i shouldn't get attached and will try not too. I'm dreading the day that they go.

I know it's what has to happen, and am totally fine with that, just feel strange about it! Have kept pigs before that have been to slaughter, but still seems strange as i think of them all as pets!

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2011, 10:08:55 pm »
It is especially hard doing this the first time, but you have done it, so well done .....and you can look forward to the lovely home reared pork. And of course the next piglets to rear.  It will definitely be worth it when you taste that lovely meat11

I know an old farmer, who I thought was hardened to such things, but he had to take his old cow in to the abbatoir, and he admitted to me that he felt dreadful unloaading his old friend into the pen, and walking away .......so, its not just you it affects.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:18:42 am »
I have been doing this for some time.  It does get a little easier, its never easy.  I suppose it is THE downside of smallholding.  When t he carcasses come back though its a different matter, and there are always the next lot of piglets to look forward to.

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2011, 08:29:28 am »
I remember the last Farmer I worked for, I was a herdsman, He would always take the cows out for slaughter when I was not looking, usually straight after they had been milked, I was too busy in the parlor and he would be out side directing the cows either to the field or into the lorry, I caught him doing it when cow barged through the parlor and never stopped at its food bin, I went out to catch it and turn it around and there he was holding the gate lol
When I got rid of fish (buck goat) the driver of the van asked Tanya if it was my first....it is sad if you get attached, now chickens on the other hand, I will gladly chop their heads off and serve them up for a roast

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2011, 10:19:46 am »
I have been doing this for some time.  It does get a little easier, its never easy.  I suppose it is THE downside of smallholding.  When t he carcasses come back though its a different matter, and there are always the next lot of piglets to look forward to.

I think that if it does become easy then that is the time to get out hobby farming.  I felt the same when our turkeys went, but it was quickly replaced by a massive sense of pride when a) the breeder where we got them from said they were as good as, if not better, than his top turkeys and b). all of the positive feedback from the people who had them for their Xmas dinner.  We had one complaint though - apparently it was too big!!! (But then again, he ordered a 7.5 Kilo turkey for three adults; what did he expect???)

The deed has probably been done by now, so just waiting for the butcher to give me the feedback on wednesday - fingers crossed!

Hilarysmum - you are wise!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2011, 06:55:17 pm »
Thank you my head will not go through the door now ......

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2011, 07:27:20 pm »
Hey, I share your sentiments entirely!

This morning I took eight to their demise.  I have been a few times now and it NEVER seems to get any easier.  Despite it being technically a bit naughty, i always load them the night before, Sunday evening one of the G.O.S. boys went wandersing round his paddock whilst the rest were squabbling over sleeping space in the trailer...............it was like he was saying goodbye to all the mud and filth!  Honestly i could have 'blubbed' like a big girl!

Last night both of us couldnt sleep, I am always awake all night before an abbatoir trip, my other half couldnt sleep either, she accompanied me for the first time, and was amazed by the cleanliness, and calm!  I always aim to be the first one there, and usually have to wait 45 minutes for the place to open.  The pigs were asleep in the trailer, I simply lowered the back and patted each one goodbye, they too had been a proper pain in the arse each more than once, but it still hurts!  I say seeyou girl, come on boy, etc and the vet on site is Russian, but you can tell he knows where I am coming from.

Then the other side of the game turns up, battered old car, tiny trailer, spotless over sized pigs, screaming and shoving to get them out of the trailer................Good God, some people dont deserve animals at all!  This morning Sara and i were really quite disturbed by one fella in particular..................ours died in a sleepy haze, well fed, well loved and all set to taste fantastic for all our clients, keeping us busy and doing our bit to help preserve rare breed pigs!

I love them all!
Regards
Jas.

www.hairyhogs.co.uk

shetlandpaul

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 08:27:13 pm »
Then the other side of the game turns up, battered old car, tiny trailer, spotless over sized pigs
whats wrong with having a dirty old car and having spotless oversize pigs. are your undersized runts caked in mud. ours had the odd starling dropping on them. not all of us can afford range rovers and new trailers. the size surly depends on what they want them for.

Hairy Hogs

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 09:15:52 pm »
For a hero member that was a pointless response, you have me all wrong chap and totally have missed the point!

I have an old Landy by the way

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2011, 08:02:14 am »
Is it true, I remember hearing this when I left the Army and looking for a job (any job) my first was at an abattoir (loading the lorries after slaughter.) and the chatter there was that pigs know when They are going to be slaughtered so you should send them in the family units as the acid build up in the muscle makes the meat taste funny.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 08:59:37 am »
My OH works in an abattoir at the killing end.  He would say that the pigs are not concerned and definitely have no idea that this is the final day.    For many its a day out, a jolly and most are very inquisitive.  Its only when the handlers get heavy handed that any fear or adrenalin is produced.  For the most part its all very easy, gentle and stress free for the pigs.  Of course it does depend on the abattoir and the handlers.

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 09:02:39 am »
So just an old wives tale then.  ::)

TheCaptain

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2011, 02:00:57 pm »
Just spoke to the butcher - they were a 'bit big' apparently.  Just over 6 months old when they went, and using the measuring to weight I reckoned the boy was just over 80 Kg and the girly just over 60 Kg.  Ready monday, will let you know how they taste!!!

:yum: :yum:  :yum:  :yum:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2011, 02:32:02 pm »
So just an old wives tale then.  ::)

Inmy misspent youth I worked for a vet.  The fear ratio was no different in a new puppy coming in for its first jab and an animal coming in for the terminal injection.  No animal I ever met there was happy to be there.  For the pigs (and this is just from my own experience taking ours, and my OH working ) most seem to take it as a day out.  Especially the elevage pigs.  My pigs have taken great pains to greet other pigs through the gates, before trotting up behind the dispatcher.  OH often has to wake up pigs before they go.  Most go quite happily, one poor pig took himself through without any assistance while the staff were waiting for a minor fault to be repaired further up the line.  The only time OH has ever seen a pig resist going in or running back was when those pushing the pigs through got too enthusiastic with the electrical prod, something my OH resists using and has so far never needed to use.  Sadly not all abattoir workers are sensitive to pigs.

I know some people say pigs smell the blood or death, and yes the abattoir does have an odd smell, but I think its the smell from the pigs coming from the elevages.  Its certainly too clean and hygienic to  smell of blood, or the odour of decomposition. 

Must stress this is just from our experience.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS