Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Appleby Horse Fair  (Read 17353 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Re: Appleby Horse Fair
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2011, 03:27:19 pm »
I'm taking my 9 year old out of school this year to go to stow (shh don't tell the school lol) as I'm hopeless with crowds - probably why I'm so at home with my animals really. I wonder if many of us animally peeps are like this?

Faith - on Big fat gypsy wedding they were saying that appleby was a 'man thing' and that the gypsy/traveller wives tended to stay home. What has been your experience being a woman there? Am just gathering info before I take milli. Was going to ask some of the traveller mums at school what they thought too. I soooo know I am going to come home with a blinkin donkey LOL>
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2011, 04:21:18 pm »
hiya plums, it is a mans environment, from a gypsy/traveller point of view, the women/wives stay in the trailers a lot, they dont have anything to do with the horses, the women wander round the stalls, the teenage girls get dressed up and walk down to the village,

all the horsey and business stuff is done by the men and boys,

I have honestly never had any trouble at appleby, i used to go with girly mates 3 or 4 of us, and i knew people there, so long as you remember you are in a gypsy/traveller world and keep ya nose down its really good.

Have a word with your friends they will point you in the right direction, and see you right.

getting back to the crowd thing, i cant do crowds or busy places at all, hate it, i hate going shopping, hate going to town, im happiest and at peace with my animals or in a muddy field in my wellies ;D  :wave:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2011, 04:34:19 pm »
Thanks Faith, that's good to know  :) I really want to go now!

I've always hated crowds, weird really as was born in london. since we moved to the countryside and I had the children its become more obvious to me that I'm at home here, literally at home. hubby's family live in the city and I avoid trips there, hate going to the hospital and driving in city traffic, would rather be home with a glass of home made wine that out and about  :)  glad I'm not the only one!! At least you can't suffer road rage in the paddock with your livestock  ;)   
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2011, 05:01:24 pm »
Yeah, and no  >:(one's going to ram into the back of your legs with a trolley or kiddy in a stroller.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2011, 05:03:29 pm »
Yeah, and no  >:(one's going to ram into the back of your legs with a trolley or kiddy in a stroller.

Nooooo I hate that!!  or those people who just suddenly stop in front of you so you bump into the back of them  ::)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2011, 05:43:07 pm »
When is Appleby Horse Fair?

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2011, 05:49:05 pm »
tues the 2rd of june they will start letting everyone into appleby to start the fair, until the 8th june so the week end 4th and 5th june  :wave:

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2011, 11:27:02 pm »
Don't like crowds either that's why I like to get here about 9.30 and leave midayish but the last few years my job wouldn't let me leave work till 11-30,by the time I've got home,let the dogs out etc I don't think its worth going!
  Easy answer to the donkey thing...if you don't want one don't buy one (Plenty of animals "rescued"from fairs that end up in worse conditions in "sanctuarys" ;) )

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2011, 07:52:33 am »
  Easy answer to the donkey thing...if you don't want one don't buy one (Plenty of animals "rescued"from fairs that end up in worse conditions in "sanctuarys" ;) )

ooh crikey, don't get me started on that one  ::)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS