Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Appleby Horse Fair  (Read 17352 times)

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Appleby Horse Fair
« on: February 15, 2011, 10:33:57 pm »
Hi All,

Caught some of 'Big fat Gypsy Wedding' (by mistake and filling gap 'til 10 o'clock news, really!!!!!!!!!!!) and part of the programme focused on the Appleby Horse Fair. Having a traditional coloured cob myself, for several years I have toyed with the idea of visiting. Not too sure if I would get upset/p****d off/accidentally buy several horses though!!!

Do any of you have experience/words of wisdom to share?

Thank you.   :horse:

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Appleby Horse Fair
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 10:45:44 am »
If in doubt don't go. I cannot trust myself at horse sales would end up bringing home some poor animal and then my OH would be looking at the divorce court. We have 5 ponies which cost me enough to care for.  ;D

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 01:16:35 pm »
The best horses can change hands ten times during the fair, all between travellers for ever increasing sums. An outsider is unlikely to find a bargain I reckon, more likely to be fleeced.
Personally the way the horses are hammered up and down the roads I wouldnt take one on, with the leg problems it could bring later. Thats OK for the gypsies as the horses are primarily garded as a tradeable commodity, our local ones at our old place just shot any horse that got lame or fought back, so they didnt have to worry about long term arthritis! They bred so many, there were always new ones to take its place.

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 05:01:09 pm »
My Dales type came from Appleby, My friend bought him and I then swapped him for a carriage I had for sale!  Best thing I ever did, I was at Appleby that year when Odinn came into my life, being a lover of traditionals also (I have 2) and cobs in general ( I also have a black with 4 whites) I was in cob heaven, would never ever have attempted to buy though, left that to my mate.

Watching them go up and down the roads, pulling the loads they are pulling can be a bit stressful but in all, I enjoyed my day out.

Not been since though!

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 05:44:42 pm »
  You're not likely to get a bargain,too many of the "Isn't it sweet"brigade  about which puts the price  up through the roof.Personally I can't  afford to  buy on impulse I leave that to those with more money than sense ;)

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:59 pm »
All,

I have only ever wondered about visiting Appleby as a 'day out/experience'. Not with the intention of purchase but can imagine seeing something that no one else wanted and going home with it (well maybe not as it would take forever to walk it up to Moray). Sucker for an under dog/horse me.  Just wondered if any of you out there had been and what you thought of it?

Thanks for the responses. More needed as still on fence about going!

Cheers.   :-*

Pony-n-trap

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 10:15:25 pm »
Thanks for the responses. More needed as still on fence about going!

Go!

If you only go the once, which I have, go!  Then you have been, you can drool over the horses or make your own opinions of what the Fair is like, a lot of people have opinions of it and have never been. Ok, when I went the weather was totally gorgeous, which helped walking up and down to Slaughter Hill but I enjoyed it (the ice creams got more expensive every time we stopped for one, which was more than once), only havent been back as too busy and now, too far away for a day out.

Roxy

• Joined May 2009
  • Peak District
    • festivalcarriages.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 11:12:02 pm »
Appleby is one of the most important events in the gypsy calender.  If you can stand the crowds, and do not mind parking miles away in a farmers field and paying whatever for parking, then yes, go for the experience.  It is nice to see the horses, and be part of the atmosphere.  But if you are easily upset, just remember that you may see things that upset you - there is the racing up and down the road, but this is part of the selling process, and you may not agree with the way some of the people handle the ponies, but this is the way they do things, and like it or not, it happens.

I have not been in recent years, and have been told that sadly, things have changed.  People with horse and carts can no longer camp by the roadside, and there is a big police presence there.  Lots of the pubs close up for fear of trouble.  Such a shame.  Yes, there are trouble makers, but not all the gypsies are like this.

I have a lovely photo of one of my Dales grandsires being driven at Appleby, and  I have this dream of one day taking my ponies with a bowtop up tobowtoAppleby.  Quite a few people from my area set off in convoy in their bowtops, and I love seeing them on the road.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 12:01:46 am »
im planning on going in the next few years if you need a buddy im sure we can sort something out my OH is unsure to go or not but i want to go just for the experiance i dont have a problem with the people and i wont get in there way i wont outstay my welcome at any time

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 09:15:03 am »
i would say go for the experience, i am an appleby fan, love the fair, there is an atmosphere like no other, sitting at the river and watching the horses swimming and being bathed, watching them all on millionaires lane, so many different horses, cobs, trotters, its incredible, all the differnet stalls, it is a really good day out, if you get there about 8am in a morning you can generally park in the village then watch everything come to life, seeing all the old bow tops is incredible all the detail there is an element of romance about them.

The other side of it is, remember that it is a gypsy fair, you are seeing an insight into there way of life, you may not agree wih alot of what you see, or not like things that you see, but you have to try to be impartial, there are good and bad in every walk of life, if you meet any of the old horse men , nicer more genuine folk you will never meet, the knowledge they have is second to none.

It will be a day that will leave you with many questions, and a mixture of thoughts and feelings, but it is worth going just the once, just be open minded. love it or hate it appleby horse fair, has a long long history, it would be ashame if we lost it.

The fair is not what it used to be, not as many horses, the introduction of the passport system seem to have a knock on effect there, and as folk have said, camping on the road is not ment to happen anymore, there are new restrictions put in place evey year, which are slowly taking the heart out of appleby horse fair.

At the end of my ramble, my advice would be go but take your wellies.

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 01:01:22 pm »
Thanks Folks,

If it's changing that quickly I' better go soon then; before there AREN'T any horses!

:horse:

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 01:53:32 pm »
Our nearest is the Stow gypsy horse fair in the cotswolds and I am planning on going to that this year. A lot of the travellers that I know are going too so will be finding out from them if there is any etiquette as a 'gorja'. taking my 9 year old with me as she shares my love of the horses and traditions  :)

The horses at our local travellers site are beautiful and my daughter was invited by the king of the gypsies there to meet his new foal. An honour that she tells anyone who will listen all about! 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 07:11:40 pm »
Our nearest is the Stow gypsy horse fair in the cotswolds and I am planning on going to that this year. A lot of the travellers that I know are going too so will be finding out from them if there is any etiquette as a 'gorja'. taking my 9 year old with me as she shares my love of the horses and traditions  :)

The horses at our local travellers site are beautiful and my daughter was invited by the king of the gypsies there to meet his new foal. An honour that she tells anyone who will listen all about! 
been to stow for many years but have not been since it stopped and they bought the land mum went last year and said it was pointless going as the preivious years was much better and it even goes to show they dont trust themselves as they blockade the stalls so noone can enter them  and steal from them. i personaly last went to stow fair a good 10 yrs ago now its a differant story i am in two minds wether to go there trying to make it the 2nd appleby when it will never be like it  is a bit disapointing imo. what dat is it this year? may 13th ish last year was the 1st one wasnt it?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2011, 11:15:44 pm »
Silver swan - it's a great day out, a totally unique experience. In a way it's like stepping back 100years or so as once you are in Appleby the normal rules of the land do not apply. Health and safety, traffic regulations etc are just irrelevant. You are stepping into the gypsy world for a short period and if you accept that then you will have a good day out.

Bye way, you can get a cheap donkey. Towards the end of the fair you can get an entire male for @ £100 as they don't want to take them back to Ireland.     
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 07:08:49 pm »
Yes Stowe is the closest thursday to the 13th May and 24th Oct (I think)
daddymatty82,don't suppose you take  photo's do you?I'm looking for ones of my hinny at Stowe about 1992/3 or at Andoversford 1996/7 ish,can't miss her she was a flea-bitten grey part bred arab

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS