Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Appleby Horse Fair  (Read 17354 times)

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
Re: Appleby Horse Fair
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2011, 09:03:42 pm »
Man is that an donkey x?  those hughed ears, drop belly and donkey feet.

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2011, 09:34:12 pm »
Whoa belgianblue!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!!!!!!!!!!!

:-*

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2011, 10:07:44 pm »
No she's a Hinny with lovely ears!(Although I did get the gypsy kids chasing me down the road asking "Is your mule pregnant Missus? ;D)
   Let me know if you find a flea-bitten grey donkey 13.1hhs ;D

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 08:02:53 am »
Really lovely pictures of your hinny Jinglejoys  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 09:44:33 am »
lovely photos, the hinny looks full of character  :wave:

Frieslandfilly

• Joined Apr 2009
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 10:30:12 am »
My daughter and her friends went to Stow a couple of years back after we had all our tack stolen (goodness knows what they thought they could do if they saw it as I believe the police dont even go onto the site!) Anyhow one of the girls with them got accosted with, 'this is the last puppy, he is all on his own, need to sell' line, being a sucker she bought it, walked back past later to see another 'last puppy'!!! A lesson for all  ;D

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2011, 12:30:12 pm »
Boy did they see her comming ::) as for no Police!!!! There are often more bloomin police than travellers ;D I think I counted 12 couples of mounted police riding in one year,not to mention the ones on the ground,RSPCA and trading standards ;)

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 01:49:45 pm »
you find police will never set on foot on any premises of gypies site. they will try always go with the sas team just in case of trouble.

when tack goes missing try looking at another end of the country.  ( tack goes missing in south, it will always goes north of the country vise verser)

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2011, 06:10:50 pm »
No she's a Hinny with lovely ears!(Although I did get the gypsy kids chasing me down the road asking "Is your mule pregnant Missus? ;D)
   Let me know if you find a flea-bitten grey donkey 13.1hhs

A hinny's a horse / donkey cross isn't it? But the opposite way round to a mule? Which is which?

Whatever she is, I think she's gorgeous. Love her.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2011, 06:32:01 pm »
   Let me know if you find a flea-bitten grey donkey 13.1hhs

A hinny's a horse / donkey cross isn't it? But the opposite way round to a mule? Which is which?

Whatever she is, I think she's gorgeous. Love her.

A Hinny has a Horse for its sire,a Mule has a Moke as its sire ;D

And yes she was gorgous.She was retired to The Horse Trust a few years ago and unfortunately had to be put to sleep a few months ago :'(My chestnut mule Amber is still there. :)

lachlanandmarcus

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Aberdeenshire
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2011, 09:42:09 pm »
you find police will never set on foot on any premises of gypies site. they will try always go with the sas team just in case of trouble.

when tack goes missing try looking at another end of the country.  ( tack goes missing in south, it will always goes north of the country vise verser)

at our old place in home counties they wouldnt go in without armed backup - and that was a small council run site...anything stolen was exchanged with a 'sister' site over the county border very rapidly - by the time the police had gathered their troops the goods were gone and 'John Smith' was nowhere to be found'.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 09:14:49 am »

My eldest daughter (9) has a best friend who lives on the site here. He regularly gets bundled into a police van in a raid, middle of the night, pulled out of their beds at gun point. His mum was telling me he has nightmares and panic attacks  :(  I know some of the travelling community are slightly, how shall I put it, 'less than honest' at times (as are some of the non-travelling community) but I find it so sad that this little boy and all of the other traveller chidlren are subjected to this.  He's told me so many stories - I actually feel quite privileged to be invited onto the site and be able to talk and listen with the travellers there - but you can see the self perpetuating cycle of travellers growing up feeling anger and hatred towards the police and authorities.
PLease don't get me wrong, I'm not  yoghurt knitting ,hand wringing do gooder - I'm not blind to the bad stuff that goes on - but it does hurt to hear from the friends I have there how they are all subjected to the same treatment as those less honest on their site. 
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2011, 09:52:23 am »
travellers/ gypsies they are all tarred with the same brush, which is ashame and not fair, there are good and bad in every society,

i have known travellers/gypsies good and bad, the good ones are amazing people, with an amazing history and amazing way of life.

claire

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Falkirk
    • Clairesgarden
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2011, 02:17:27 pm »
jinglejoys, I am loving your photographs!

I wouldn't like to visit Appleby, too busy and I don't like crowds much.

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2011, 02:42:48 pm »
hi claire

I wouldn't like to visit Appleby, too busy and I don't like crowds much.

[/quote]

i dont like crowds or busy places either, i never go to appleby at the week end ( far to busy and scary) when i used to go it was either fri  or the monday, get there before 8am park up in appleby, get a brew and get your bearings before everyone gets out of bed, you can have a good look round the stalls, the horses, sit at the river bank, sit on trotters lane, and escape the folk to a degree and soak up the atmosphere.  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS