Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What animals do you wish you could keep?  (Read 18022 times)

littlemisspiggy!

• Joined Sep 2010
  • NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
    • just left of the 20th century
Re: What animals do you wish you could keep?
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2011, 10:36:55 pm »
i would dearly love a jersey cow! so i could call her daisy and put a hat on her with a flower in it! ;)
to many do's and dont's with tb etc though so no cows for me!
i would love a zebra..i saw one once for sale in a horse mag from holland...£3,500 for a colt foal...racing stripes eat your heart out...lol... :wave:
'can't rain all the time!'

BlueDaisy

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Grow your own - veg and chooks!
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2011, 09:18:23 am »
Loads and loads of wolfhounds :love:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2011, 09:22:41 am »
A WELL BEHAVED Hilary

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2011, 09:24:43 am »
have you tried explaining sausages to her?

it might work!!!

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2011, 11:09:33 am »
have you tried explaining sausages to her?

it might work!!!

I bet it won't!!  ;) ;D

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2011, 12:54:03 pm »
She knows I will never be able to get her into the lorry.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2011, 03:45:57 pm »
MeerKats - Simples  ;D
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

princesspiggy

« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2011, 07:22:57 pm »
A Harris hawk (for falconry).  :)
i met a bloke once with one (or something similar) and he had a hunting dog (visla i think) with him and used them both together to hunt. so clever if you can do it!
i would love to get some purebred breeding turkeys, maybe norfolk blacks, instead of our usual xmas hybrids. im hoping they might have a bit more character, and intelligence - or is that pushing it abit --lol   :wave:

Pel

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2011, 05:01:21 pm »
At the moment I've had to downsize to just my rabbits (my chickens have moved to live with my mum's pigs, and did have quail but like someone else said hard work and you dont get a lot back and I just dont like them).

In the future if we get to have a lot of land then i'd like to grow my own crops for the animals also allowing me to produce straw and then some hay too. Plus a herd of horned welsh blacks and Highland cattle (the OH wants those). I'd like 2 or 3 Kerry cows to milk, i just prefer their taste in milk to the jersery x I've tried plus they produce fab beef and are a rare breed. I really like lamb, but not a fan of sheep, so I'd get some when my son grows up a bit as he seems to like the commercial types (he is only 1), though badger face meat does taste very nice. Also some chickens, ducks and geese as they all have nice eggs to eat. Oh and pigs, I haven't decided on what breed, depends where i was, would have some large blacks and some Kune kunes but i'd fatten them over a long time (1-2years), but for the main herd not sure, probably a modern/commercial type cross.

However since we'd only be able to afford probably nearer 5 acres in the nearer future, I'd be quite happy with 2-4 ducks, 2-3 geese and 4 chickens, a couple of pigs to fatten, perhaps breed and 2 dogs.

For now I'm content with looking after other peoples livestock and seeing how they manage their holdings.
Love pigs; their language, intelligence, and taste.
NPTC in chainsaws (felling small trees) and HND in Agriculture with countryside management.
Farming it runs through the blood :D

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2011, 06:28:22 pm »

I'd like us to be self-sufficient in milk which would mean a cow or a goat but we just don't have the room (or money) for that.

For fun though I'd like to keep llamas or alpacas.

egbert

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2011, 09:58:42 pm »
OH and I really wanted to get Alpacas - looked into some courses, went on a few farm visits to see what was involved etc - we had it all planned, finance in place etc. But the fields around us - 10 acres, perfect - belong to the mother in law and she didnt want to risk/cancel her standing agreement to rent it out to the local farmer for his cattle to take a 'risk' on us.    ::) :P

So my wish list

Alpacas
pigs
house cow
pygmy(?) goats
Indian runner ducks

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2011, 10:30:20 pm »
I wish I could have a couple of pigs to rear for meat. Not enough room and reticence from my wife prevent it unfortunately.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

seldomseen

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Crimea
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2011, 02:40:35 pm »
I hear alot wanting a house cow, what about a goat? they can supply enough milk for the average family and take less looking after than the cow does for sure, just dont get a Tog as they are sooooooooo fussy on what they eat loll believe me I have one and she will not have the same type of food 2 days running. lol
I would love more goats, friendly and easy to get on with.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2011, 05:33:18 pm »
Goats are addictive!! I love mine to bits - must admit my toggs haven't been fussy at all. very partial to a biscuit though  ;)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Tilly

• Joined Jan 2011
  • "Possibilities and miracles mean the same thing"
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2011, 06:37:20 pm »

I`m loving reading this --------I hope you all get what you dream of.
 Tilly :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS