Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What animals do you wish you could keep?  (Read 18018 times)

robert waddell

Re: What animals do you wish you could keep?
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2011, 08:12:27 pm »
little blue our friends have lammas they can jump 5ft

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:41 pm »
mine too.  and I'm very keen on the spitting!  but they're pretty cool, and less imposing than a camel!!
Little Blue

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2011, 08:14:12 pm »
Sheep - would like to get a couple of ewes with lambs to keep over the summer - mobile grass cutters  ;D
Also, we are sowly dealing with the huge pile of stones left in the corner of our land when they grubbed up the cornish hedges - then we want to create a pond where the stones were and OH would like some ducks  ;D ;D
I would love some cattle, I just love their noses  :D :D
Tish

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2011, 09:20:07 pm »
I fear that If I could have anything, I'd have Everything!  :D

More realistically (if / when I get the land):-

(house) Cow(s)
Horses
LLamas
donkeys

not necessarily in that order.

Actually - I was wondering about Dwarf Zebu - they're basically minature cows aren't they? Does anyone know if they can provide milk like a cow? (obviously they produce milk; but can they produce enough for a calf then be milked)?

And they should need less space...

mab

Sandy

« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2011, 06:32:14 pm »
I too would love horses and also not able to ride due to my back but I realy realy realy realy would LOVE a rescue DOnkey and a little trap, then I could load it up with our 4 Labradors and myself and trot off to the woods, fun in all weather I think!!!!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2011, 06:55:16 pm »
we have a shetland pony stalion far better than a donkey

Sandy

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2011, 07:02:48 pm »
A Stallion???? I would get a speading ticket with that, I bet he can shift with those powerful little legs, I know cause I used to run fast now the only thing of mine that can run is my nose!!!!!!!

robert waddell

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2011, 07:06:07 pm »
just put good brakes on the the buggie
back on thread a unicorn

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2011, 09:00:25 pm »
What about a Hippogriff (ala Harry Potter!?). That would scare off any troublesome neighbours eh Ellisr (if you notice this post)?

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2011, 09:04:58 pm »
although we raise orphan lambs for the freezer now and again I would love to have my own small flock again, not possible with my back but I love sheep and find them relaxing to have around. Going to have a couple of pigs again, 12 hens is enough and we have the 3 ducks, 5 ponies, 3 dogs, 3 cats. I did fancy a couple of goats but OH put his foot down.  ;D

garden cottage

• Joined Sep 2008
  • forest of dean
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2011, 07:11:50 am »
herd of bison ;D

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2011, 09:04:15 pm »
A horse. A big one- something with Shire in it. I like Irish Draft horses as well though....

Other than that- I would like more land and then I could keep more goats, a few more of my kind of goats, but also some Boer for meat. Oh, and if I got the horse, I would like a Donkey to go with it. The OH really wants a donkey.

Sheep aren't on wish list particularly, but I do like to rear orphan lambs occasionally. Cows could be on the wish list- but I would like to be able to have all the equipment for them, and I can't see that happening.

Beth

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2011, 08:59:43 am »
orangutans are great, but i'd like a pet heffalump!!!

We had heffalumps for a while, but they kept breaking down the fences, so we had to get rid of them  ;).

I'm still plotting for some Indian Runner Ducks, and a few turkeys come the summer. Does anyone know who in Central Scotland might breed them or have hatching eggs?
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

jacob and Georgina

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2011, 09:03:10 am »
i would love some deer for venison and some ostrich! eat this a lot and is soo tasty!

RUSTYME

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 05:58:02 pm »
a very heavy cob  or a working  type shire . It would have to be  a mare and about 5 years old and capable of working in all gears. I have three horses already , one a Welsh mountain pony , blind in one eye and getting on now. Her son , as good as gold, but sometimes decides he wants to kill me , and my big girl who is a cross cob , clydesdale , eventer. Her great granddad was Dutch Courage .
 Would also like a Devon Red Ruby cow or two , and a couple of GOS piggies or Berkshires and a few Cotswold sheep or Soay .
 Would like them , but no money so will have to wait . Still , I have the three horses and the four dogs to keep me busy anyway ....

cheers

Russ

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS