Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What animals do you wish you could keep?  (Read 18016 times)

Floyd

• Joined Dec 2010
Re: What animals do you wish you could keep?
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2011, 07:19:45 pm »
Hopefully not in the too distant future  Quail and Guinea Fowl, but also have a crazy idea of having a couple of Rheas running around the croft.  Will certainly be a talking point for the walkers!

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2011, 07:22:01 pm »
rheas will certainly get some funny looks from hill walkers

are rheas kept for eggs or meat?

LouiseG

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Appleby-in-Westmorland
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2011, 09:43:57 pm »
i'd like a couple of miniature mediteranean donkey girls, aldready in foal so i wouldn't have to wait so long for babies.  :love: but OH says we already have too many animals so will keep dreaming for a bit longer.

It's lovely to read about everyones dreams and hopes, my OH see's it as "you're never satisfied" i like to think of it as "it's nice to have a future plan"  :)
So many ideas, not enough hours

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2011, 09:54:08 pm »
i'd like a couple of miniature mediteranean donkey girls, aldready in foal so i wouldn't have to wait so long for babies.  :love: but OH says we already have too many animals so will keep dreaming for a bit longer.

It's lovely to read about everyones dreams and hopes, my OH see's it as "you're never satisfied" i like to think of it as "it's nice to have a future plan"  :)
I LOVE donkeys too.  And basically I am happy with  what I have, but it WOULD be nice to have a little more land and room for that pony - or donkey.  I think not being satisfied is cup half empty whereas hopes and dreams are cup half full  ;D
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

loosey

• Joined May 2010
  • Cornwall
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2011, 08:57:03 am »
rheas will certainly get some funny looks from hill walkers

are rheas kept for eggs or meat?

Meat for us! Yum!!  :yum: ;D

bamford6

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2011, 10:30:35 am »
we have a go att some think new each yere Quail and Guinea Fowl done these last getting rid lots off work not much return .still have 200 rare breed sheep and 55 pens off rare breed chickins bantams ducks geese etc so some think new .

Blinkers

• Joined Jan 2008
  • Carmarthenshire
  • Carmarthenshire/Pembrokeshire border
    • Glyn Elwyn - Faithmead Herd
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2011, 11:49:07 am »
A handful of beef cattle.....but something easy to handle and not too feisty  ::)   I like the look of the Ruby Reds  :cow:   Reason for not having any.......not enough land (unless the horses went  :o :o :o) and all the problems with the TB, that would break my heart  :'(
Did you ever stop to think, and forget to start again !!
www.glynelwyn.co.uk

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2011, 11:50:29 am »
I'd like a few ducks to keep in the vegetable garden but we've been told they're very messy. I saw some apricot call ducks at a sale and thought they were lovely. Might be nice to have duck eggs to sell too though.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2011, 11:57:13 am »
You could have them in a moveable run - you've plenty space for that - and they don't make that much mess.  To be honest my hens trashed the grass run they had a lot quicker. 
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Litl_Deb

• Joined Apr 2010
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2011, 12:25:08 pm »
Another vote for a house cow - not heard the term before, describes it beautifully - I would enjoy goats for milk, mostly because my Dad had them when I was growing up.  I would like many more chickens, only have a dozen at the mo.  I had seven ducks but the fox murdered six of them in one go. I love to watch them playing in the pond, I will perhaps pluck up some courage and get some more.  The damned fox comes during the day here when the cubs are hungry - there really is no defence if you want your birds to have any sort of freedom. 
If I could make it work financially I would be a Farmers Market-er in a shot, I am trying to do some research to see if I could do that instead of my office job.
I would mostly like to spend my time at home will my children while I make cheese and butter and grow vegetables - I think I am a Farmer's Wife at heart - it is a shame my OH is not a Farmer !!
 ::)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »
Southdown sheep and more goats  :)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2011, 06:17:09 pm »
Southdowns are lovely. I want lots of goats - and some GOS pigs.

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2011, 08:01:27 pm »
those of you who are saying "house cow" .... consider goats!
smaller, less to feed, trainable (allegedly!!) the milk is lower in fat & cholesteral & soooo affectionate! & marginally less painful when they stabd on your toe!
Little Blue

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2011, 08:06:39 pm »
wish list....

Dales pony, couple of donkeys, more hens - especially Redcaps, Marans
a few sheep - Badgerface
llamas just for a laugh! 

and an orangutan .... if we're talking wishes  ::)
Little Blue

bloomer

• Joined Aug 2010
  • leslie, fife
  • i have chickens, sheep and opinions!!!
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2011, 08:08:44 pm »
oh if we're going to be silly!!!

orangutans are great, but i'd like a pet heffalump!!!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS