Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: puppy delema  (Read 14390 times)

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
Re: puppy delema
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2011, 10:32:27 am »
Hi, I worked for 'probably' the best orthopaedic surgeon in Scotland who vets from all over Scotland & many parts of England refer cases to. Some amazing deformities can be corrected, obviously expense etc comes into it. But before making any decisions How about seeing if your vet could refer you to either Andy Millar at Broadleys Vet Hosp.,Stirling or Glasgow Vet School as both nearer to you. If you want the best of the best John Ferguson at East Neuk Vet Clinic, St. Monans, Fife. Andy Millar & John Ferguson will also 'read' Xrays if your vet sends them and give the best prognosis, costs involved and whether PTS is the kindest. Good luck.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2011, 12:03:49 pm »
I agree with Geebee, my Freckles had an op at East neuk and was extremely well cared for - and me too, very sympathetic and extremely knowledgeable, explain everything simply too - it was Steve, John's colleague that we saw.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2011, 03:42:54 pm »
I agree with Geebee, my Freckles had an op at East neuk and was extremely well cared for - and me too, very sympathetic and extremely knowledgeable, explain everything simply too - it was Steve, John's colleague that we saw.
Oooh! when was Freckles there & what op? I may well have met her, and you, tho' I wasn't 'front of house' much as I was an orthopaedic referral nurse & in charge of theatres etc. but often met owners when admitting or discharging pets. I was there for 10 years til July 2009.
Unfortunately Steve has recently moved on to pastures new, Willows Referral Centre in the Midlands. (East Neuks loss, Willows gain I'd say!) He is fab, can't praise him enough. Explains everything, all your options, prognosis etc. and remembers every client/patient he's ever seen and all about the case. Sooo dedicated.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 04:45:00 pm »
Oh, that's a shame, they will miss his expertise - yes he explained everything to me, and was so good with Freckles - she had a TPLO http://www.vetsurgerycentral.com/tplo.htm in April 2010 so you won't have met her or me, and she absolutely fine now - Brittanys only know two speeds - go and stop, sometimes turning corners at speed creates this problem - there were four of our breed had that problem last year alone.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

geebee

• Joined Aug 2010
  • N,E.Fife
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 04:57:48 pm »
TPLO's fond memories, we did more of them than anything else, about 10 a week! They were so much better immediately post-op was difficult to keep them quiet (as you probably found) oops I think we've hijacked this thread!
I hope the puppy does well if anything can be done.

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2011, 10:03:55 pm »
thanks for the info gee, will consider if thats feasable. i'm working next 3 nights so will make enquries for thurs/frid.

mandy

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 08:05:11 pm »
Taking away the money would this little pup have a pain free life. I believe everything has the right to life but an animal cannot tell you when things get too much and at such a young age any decision will be hard.

Brahma girl

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Norfolk
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »
How is the puppy?
I live with my Hubby,dogs Ellie,Coco and Roo, my Cats Cilla, Archie, Chin. We keep beautiful Brahmas in Lemon Pyle. Red Pyle, Blue, Silver Blue, Gold Partridge, Black, Darks, Blue Splash. Lovely French Faverolles, cute Porcelain Pekins,Grey mottled,  Black, Lemon. Also Red Barbu d' Uccle.

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2011, 01:00:39 am »
shes growing well, cant really tell her apart untill u wade in and do a close inspection. just going to see how she goes as she develops, doesn't have a problem getting about to be first at the milk bar at the mo anyway.

mandy

tazbabe

• Joined Aug 2010
  • ayrshire
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 07:00:45 am »
what's the opinion on the leg?  what did the vet recommend?
you may light another's candle from your own without loss

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 06:12:40 pm »
hi,
ortho vet recomended leaving it be at the mo as too young for an anaesthetic, reconstruction isnt recomended, if we wanted they could amputate the leg when she's about 4-5months old, said it would cost about £100 for them to do it. but it might not be really necissary as she has no discomfort from it.
also recomended withdrawing the cash incentive so would offer it to be paid directly to the vet.

mandy

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 09:03:31 pm »
Seems sensible  :)

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »
well thats them 3 weeks old tomorrow all starting to wobble about including little stumpie shes not as fast as the rest but she keeps up, leg doesnt seem to be getting in her way either. starting weaning tomorrow too thats usually fun ::)

mandy

Hatty

• Joined Feb 2011
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 10:16:09 pm »
I've got a 7 year old front leg amputee Akita  X lab he does fine, been like it since he was small, but take vets advice, but we wouldn't swap Merlin

Mandy :wave:
How long did you say it would take me to dig this 5 acres with my spade?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS