Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: puppy delema  (Read 14389 times)

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
puppy delema
« on: February 10, 2011, 12:05:25 am »
hi
was looking to get some viewpoints, we have just got a lovely litter of red and white border collies, most of our pups go to agility homes with one of her last litter already qualified for crufts.
Now one of the bitch pups has a deformed front leg, it looks like it was broken badly when in utero and then set that way, other than that she looks healthy enough.
I'm wondering whats the likelyhood of anyone taking her on as i know dogs with amputations seem to live happily and my feeling is she would probably manage fine.
we are going to consult the vet on friday to get his opinion.
i have 4 dogs already and really cant see me keeping her, so what do u think, see how she develops with the hope someone will be happy to take her or cut out losses and euthinase (not keen)

mandy

silver swan

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Scotland
Re: puppy delema
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 07:26:51 am »
Hi Mandy,

Please let us all know what the vet says!!!!  I have a good friend who has been looking for a border collie puppy since before Christmas - she has a collie already but he's middle aged now. She has been keeping an eye on the local rescue centres too. I won't mention anything to her yet though.

also. can't remember if she's looking for a bitch or dog?

Anyway, good luck.  :dog:

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2011, 09:20:27 am »
thanks,  will let u know what he says

mandy

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2011, 10:20:03 am »
to be honest most dogs with amputations are pets that are already loved that the owner does not want to destroy. You are going to struggle to home a deformed puppy as most people will want their bundle of joy to be perfect. I think you may have to bite the bullet the sooner the better for everyone involved.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2011, 03:02:39 pm »
to be honest most dogs with amputations are pets that are already loved that the owner does not want to destroy. You are going to struggle to home a deformed puppy as most people will want their bundle of joy to be perfect. I think you may have to bite the bullet the sooner the better for everyone involved.
As a breeder of more years than I care to remember I would agree with that I'm afraid.  I've had to do it, and it's part and parcel of being a responsible breeder.  If you let that pup go to someone and it then doesn't develop properly because of the bad leg they may regret having her, and that would not be good for either.  I think you may have difficulty homing her too as people will see potential costs ahead.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 09:18:25 pm »
I think that potential costs will put some people off. From experience however I am certain that there are people out there who would fall over themselves to look after a dog with the sort of problems that you have described.
A local Staff breeder had one pup with only half of one of her front legs in place but perfectly normal otherwise.
She had five people trying to outbid each other for 'Peanut' as she turned out to be called.

Listen to the vet and let us know what happens. Good luck

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

charlie

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 09:41:37 pm »
My friend has a 3 legged beardie that he uses for sheep she does a fine job.

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:58:32 pm »
looking at it today i think it may need surgery, we are willing to do this if the vet thinks its worth doing and then hopefully get a home for her.
she is from parents with excellent temprements so hopefully he will think its worth exploring.
will post back once i know.

mandy

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2011, 01:26:09 pm »
vet is leaning towards euthinasia as he thinks using 3 legs will cause early arthritis etc but is willing to see if surgery is possible, its my partners final call as its his dog, so unless someone is willing to commit to takeing her, i'm not sure.
so anybody interested in a liver and white border collie bitch FOC with a £100 sweatener towards any vet bills let me know, she has her mums agility build so wont be a heavy dog which might go in her favour.

Mandy

robert waddell

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2011, 01:32:26 pm »
what age is it

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2011, 01:35:41 pm »
just born on wednesday so 4 days ;D

robert waddell

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2011, 01:47:33 pm »
the pup would need to stay with mum for seven wks yet is it not to early to predict that it would cause problems unless it has set at a funny angle

milly molly

• Joined Dec 2007
  • abington sw scotland
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 02:16:03 pm »
whether its going to be a problem is still to be seen, it wont be able to use the leg as its bent up from near the elbow so the paw sits against the leg, it might just sit their not getting in the way or amputation from an asthetic point might be done.
as i say we are willing to let her continue if someone is willing to take her on.

Mandy

Stevie D

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 07:19:43 pm »
I've heard of plenty of dogs coping with amputation as an adult but at 4 days old the responsible thing to do is pts. The wee thing will struggle from day one.
Sorry.
Stevie

robert waddell

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2011, 07:37:03 pm »
before we commit  can you send picks  we are not that far from you  will pm you our email address

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS