Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: want to keep chickens  (Read 5719 times)

wilf

• Joined Nov 2008
want to keep chickens
« on: November 29, 2008, 08:53:33 am »
Hi

We want to keep some (8) chickens and know nothing about it just yet.

Can anyone give us advice on .

What breed is best and easiest to keep.
Where to get chickens.
What vermin can i expect and how to deal with them

We are in kent

Ta,

wilf

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: want to keep chickens
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 05:19:13 pm »
Everyone has their favourite breed but I think the Black Rock is as good as any. It's a hybrid bred for outdoor systems, is hardy and lays well. Make sure you get the real thing though and not just some black hens. The breeder has a website www.blackrock.com I think - he's called Peter Siddons and he has a network of finishers all over the country.

If you keep your feed in rodent proof containers, clean up any spills and take your feeders in at night, you shouldn't be bothered with rodents.

Castle Farm

• Joined Nov 2008
  • Hereford/Powys Border. near Hay-on-Wye
    • castlefarmeggs
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 05:03:01 pm »
Hello Wilf.
Have a look at my blog on starting with poultry it may hold a few answers any other questions just ask.

www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008, 05:04:45 pm by Castle Farm »
Traditional Utility Breed Hatching Eggs sent next day delivery. Pure bred Llyen Sheep.
www.castlefarmeggs.co.uk  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Utility-Poultry-Keepers/231571570247281

chickettes

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 11:48:23 am »
Hi,
 i got my first 2chickens approx 5weeks ago. I opted for 2 Black Rocks. I did a bit of research and looked at sites such as this one, but at the end of the day you just got to try it. No eggs as yet but plenty laughs.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 07:12:39 pm »
For looks personality and character brahmas.  They lay a nice egg too.

Wellieboots

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 06:20:16 pm »
Do your homework, decide what suits and then go fer it. Don't be sidelined by looks etc..etc.. unless you will be at home every day. If you just want eggs, go for a hybrid such as a black rock as they will lay well & are a good "starter" chicken and there is nothing better than a flock of black birds running around yer grounds to give you kudos!!
Vermin depends on where you are/live. If you let them free range as in the proper sense and not just wander about in a small run then you have to accept that this might happen ( foxes, minks, raptors etc) - lock them up at night and it lessons the chances but look at the size of the runs on most commercial huts and tell me that you are happy with their size?
Mine free range over 2 acres during the day and are put away at night but we still lost one recently to a raptor, such is life. Bloody lice are the biggest problem IMO!!

Good chicken keepin!

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 07:52:52 am »
 ???Pardon my ignorance but what is a raptor?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 12:22:10 pm »
Bird of Prey - hawks, buzzards, Kestrels etc.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS