Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: garlic and ginger for chickens?  (Read 8590 times)

suomi

• Joined Nov 2008
garlic and ginger for chickens?
« on: November 28, 2008, 09:28:58 am »
Hi,  we have 23 chickens all healthy, but because its winter here they now have to be inside for the next 6 months! they are not happy!
I give them layers pellets, corn, cooked pasta, greens also they have applecider vinegar in their water. my question is if I chop up garlic and ginger can I give it raw mixed in with their food, and how much can I give them?  dont want ginger flavoured eggs!!
thanks.

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
Re: garlic and ginger for chickens?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:36:14 pm »
Hi suomi,
I haven't heard of anyone else giving ginger to chickens - garlic yes, ginger...  ??? dont' see why it would do any harm.  The normal procedure for garlic is to peel a clove and put it in their drinking water.  Maybe you could alternate with the ACV? One week AVC, one week garlic, etc. It's supposed to not flavour the eggs. Where are you anyways?  My chickens are outside in the winter and I'm in the far north - they are hardy little chooks up here.  Mind you, they don't like it much and if I had the space and time for mucking out then I'd probably be thinking about keeping them in too   ;)

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 12:42:34 pm »
I'm in Central Scotland now, but was in Aberdeenshire till Spring - I have only rarely kept my chooks and dooks inside - they actually enjoy the snow!  Have never given them garlic - what is it for?  Dogs can have garlic tablets to stave off infections - is that it?
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:28:01 pm »
Dogandjo, for worms

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:01:33 pm »
I don't keep my chooks in - type of houses I have, I can't but they have shelter and seem fine even in bad weather. They have no expectation of being warm and dry, unlike us.

I give my horse garlic - general tonic, respiration, worms. Oh, and fly repellant.

suomi

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 03:15:45 pm »
thanks for the replys.
Im in FINLAND!     winters here get down to minus 25oc, so have to keep the chooks in a nice warm house!  they stay in untill begining of june, then they can be out in the open as all the migrating wild birds have arrived by then.
they are in a nice room atached to the barn we have a woodburner next door to them ant we try to keep the temperature in the cicken house between 5-9oc. we do the deeplitter system, so kilos of woodshavings on the floor.

Birdie Wife

• Joined Oct 2008
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2008, 02:06:22 pm »
WOW!  I see why you'd want to keep your chickens inside.  Mind you, I should have guessed by your username where you are from  ;) 

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2008, 08:31:53 pm »
Yes, my friend, Cecilie, in Sweden, has her chickens indoors too now.  Just remembered that.  BRRRRR.................. ;)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2008, 08:35:59 pm »
And I thought it was cold HERE!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS