Author Topic: marans  (Read 2876 times)

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
marans
« on: February 01, 2011, 07:59:40 pm »
what age are maran cockerels ready for the pot? i have never done this before, always bought my chicken from a butcher  ::), but really fancy having a go at dispatching my own, i have got the chance of some 7 month old marans, please can anyone point me in the right direction,  :wave:

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
Re: marans
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 09:32:40 pm »
what age are they now? feel the breast bone does it feel meaty? how will you dispatch?

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 09:57:05 pm »
7 mths should be plenty old enough.  If you feel there is not enough meat on them then feed them for a week or two on pre boiled oats/wheat/corn/peas/rice etc, and don't let them run around much or fight with each other. 

The first day they are confined don't feed till evening, then remove uneaten food after about 15 mins.  Then feed 2 or 3 times a day, removing uneaten feed each time.  Clean fresh water and sharp grit should be constantly available

Once killed pluck them while still warm, then leave them for a while before gutting.  This will depend on the temperature at which they are kept.  If in a fridge or the weather is frosty you will need a bit longer, but 3 days should be about right.  If it suddenly turns warm take this into account

They should be kept with clean fresh water, but no feed not more than 24 hours before dispatch.

All the best
Sue

To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

benkt

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Cambridgeshire
    • Hempsals Community Farm
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:13 pm »
We grew our own marans for a while, tended to eat one a week starting at around 5mths old so the last would be maybe 7mths when he finally went.

Our main cockerel is now a LS but we have some marans hens left so we get a few crosses. Next lot are about ready for the pot - they seem to have grown up quickly and are crowing their heads off in the morning (~5mths old). To be honest that always used to be my criteria - if they crow they need to go! Now we've moved into our new place and the nearest neighbours are half a mile away we can try going a bit longer with them.

At 6mths they are not huge perhaps 4lbs dressed weight would be typical for ours. Still does us a decent casserole!

faith0504

• Joined Aug 2010
  • Cairngorms
  • take it easy and chill
    • blaemuir cottage
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 06:40:12 pm »
thank you all so much for the advice  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS