shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
Re: Rats!
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 10:28:25 am »

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2011, 10:30:41 am »
Please remember folks that if you put poison down for the rats/mice they will be eaten by the poultry and cats etc who in turn will be poisoned, so please try other methods.

shrekfeet

• Joined Sep 2008
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 10:49:14 am »
most rats will take the poison into the burrow and die there. Cats do not eat things that are already dead. They are hunters, not scavengers. Usually that is.
Chickens will eat anything!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 11:59:37 am »
I am not surehow I go about looking into borrowing a working terrior.
It seems they tried another angle of the shed but failed  ;) due to this mesh wire I wrapped around the side of the shed.

I will have a look to see if I can find anyone local as it would be far better than using glass (which I don't really want to use) I just hope I can get rid quickly!!

I think people owning working terriers are always on the lookout for places to work them, so you wouldn't have to borrow, the owners would bring them and work them.  I don't know how to find them either though.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 12:07:13 pm »
Ask your local council if they have dog training classes, a dog warden, or animal welfare officer - they will know where to find a terrier club or even an individual owner who can help.  Oops, sorry, there I go giving unsolicited advice again - my sincere apologies  ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I do hope you get rid of your rats.  I have them too but I have a cat who will eat things he hasn't caught so can't put poison down.  So far the rats are staying in the stream and I only occasionally see them, but will need to do something if they become a problem.  Thanks for all the helpful,m advice on here.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2011, 02:58:53 pm »
OH has pointed out that, where pets and livestock or wildlife getting to poison is a concern, you can use a product called Bait Box.  It is not poisoned grain, but the little blocks of bait are stuck on spikes inside a specially designed box, so cannot be dragged out by rats.  The only animals which can get to the bait other than rats are smaller things such as mice.  We used these in our attic when there was a plague of rats one year and they thought a nice comfy roof over their heads was ideal.   I think outdoor rats usually go back to the burrow to die
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2011, 03:54:00 pm »
WORD OF WARNING rat poison killed one of my Fox terriers and put another on a drip for two days at the vets in their IC unit. One of my neighbours must have put it down. I asked around, but no one admitted it. I find the best method is a cage trap. Catch a rat or two, move it, catch another,move it etc etc They have regular runs if you watch them. I still, every couple of months find an unmarked dead rat lying around my place. No idea where they come from.

daddymatty82

• Joined Aug 2010
  • swindon
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2011, 04:11:19 pm »
me personaly would never use poison as i got a cat that brings them alive then either shoot or set dog on vermin

littlechick

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2011, 09:24:59 pm »
Thank you everyone.

I really wont be looking into poison unless it got totally out of hand and I don't think we are near there yet.

I will be looking around for terrier clubs etc tomorrow and hope to find someone who can help.

In the meantime though I have noticed this?

Anyone here tried it?

http://www.northerntooluk.com/agriculture-equipment/pest-control/rat-zapper_168430E.html

robert waddell

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2011, 09:33:17 pm »
as much use as a chocolate watch we have two never caught a rat

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS