Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: living in france  (Read 5678 times)

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
living in france
« on: November 27, 2008, 03:28:02 pm »
Hi all, after the last couple of terrible years with rain, wind and the problems sorting land for our pigs we're thinking of saying sod it all, selling the house, the business and everything and moving to somewhere like limousin in france.  What I want to know is a) does anyone on here live near there? and b) How easy it is to move from the depths of yorkshire to somewhere not all mud and rain?  would really be looking to move within the next 18 month, giving us time to sell everything and renovate somewhere over there.  Seen a great little place with a bit of land (not much but sure can find some more). http://www.french-property.com/vp/nv/ds/limousin-haute-vienne-rochechouart-house/id/202282/
Needs gutting and and pretty much rebuilding but think it would be worth it for the money.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: living in france
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 04:20:23 pm »
You might find Simon who posts on here occasionally or contact him at www.pigsinfrance.com on the contact us page or Merlin I believe lives in the South.   Brittany has plenty of pig people, nothing like as cold as Yorkshire, much more like Dorset, although plenty of mud.

The ONLY piece of advice I would give is :  NEVER take it for granted or even the estate agents promise that land will be available.  Always buy as much as you need /want at the time of purchase.  I have known so many who have been promised that a field, acreage, etc. would be available when the house was purchased only to see them deeply disappointed. 

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 10:38:30 am »
Thanks for that, I'll drop him a email and see what he thinks.  Getting so fed up of been here now need a change.

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 06:21:44 pm »
Hi,

Don't move to Normandy - we only seem to get wind and rain.
Very good advice from Hilarys mum regarding land issues.
Also make sure, if you find somewhere, that the land is free of grazing rights to other local farmers, its not always easy to get them off the land, even if the house is sold on.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2008, 08:29:17 am »
Its a lovely country though, wherever you end up. 

velcro

• Joined Aug 2008
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 07:32:24 pm »
I second that, inspite of the wet ( wellies for pigs seem a good idea) I would not want to be anywhere else

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 11:02:36 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, after losing losing yet another chicken to the cold spell (-5 here :-( and our land been like a swamp we've decided to start taking frech leasons after xmas and move asap. will let you all know when we find somewhere, think we might have a drive over there and see whats available

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 03:49:09 pm »
We found this place by accident. Carly and I went over to France for a week,I drove 1200 miles and we headed as far south as Limoges looking at all the places we had found on the internet. Be aware,French Immobliers put any old cheap stuff on the net to attract overseas purchasers. Most of these properties have been sold already or have fallen into such a state of disrepair,but the immobliers don't take them off the net because it's a good lure. Call me cynical,but this is my personal experience. On the drive back to the port after a fruitless search,we stopped in Mortain and met Wendy,an ex-pat,tell it how it is estate agent (unheard of I know) and she listened to our needs and budget and showed us this place. 3 months later it was ours. Good luck with your search,and if decide on this area,pm me and I'll give you Wendy's details,best wishes........ Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

yorksfarmer

• Joined Aug 2008
  • scarborough
    • The Tack Shack
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 12:32:58 pm »
thanks for that Ree,  looking at a few more properties in limousin and I think your right with the to good to be true ones.  There are a lot of rebuild oppertunities but not sure on suppliers and cost of materials over there.  As I say we have found quite a few different places at reasonable prices but nothing seems to have much land with it.  The cold weather is catching up with us both so I'm hoping limousin is a little warmer than the bleakness of north yorkshire. Going to try and make time in the new year to have a drive over and seach around to see what is available and price up buidling supplies. Don't mind staying in a caravan for a while until we can renovate. Will let you know how we get on

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 02:47:12 pm »
Reckon on anything between 500 and 750 euros per square metre for a rebuild/renovation.The cost of building supples aren't that much different to the Uk,but I've found the artisan charges are a lot more.
   The weather in Limousin during the winter is probably colder than North Yorkshire. http://weather.msn.com/local.aspx?wealocations=wc:FRXX0119&q=Limoges%2c+FRA  Limousin is quite an uninhabitated department and so any property you buy,unless of course in a town/city,will be quite remote and the threat of being snowed in whilst living in a caravan would scare me! That's why we bought a house just outside a small village in Normandy,remote enough for the privacy,but close enough to towns for the services. Anyway,good luck with the search and post if you have any more questions...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS