Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Farmers market boxes - polystyrene or plywood and wool  (Read 4788 times)

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
Farmers market boxes - polystyrene or plywood and wool
« on: December 08, 2008, 06:52:59 pm »
We are proposing to make sustainable wooden boxes for farmers market sellers, made from FSC plywood, lined with plastic covered felt linings made from local wool.

These would obviously be more expensive than polystyrene boxes but would look nice, last a lot longer.....like years! and more to the point would be sustainable which polystyrene certainly is not! The felt lining could be returned if damaged to be replaced or refelted if necessary and a farms name and logo could be put on the front of the boxes!

What do you think?

If you sell at farmers markets would you give them a go.....and put your quality product in a quality box?

If you buy at farmers markets would you encourage their use?

I am very interested in your responses!
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: Farmers market boxes - polystyrene or plywood and wool
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 07:37:57 pm »
I would encourage use of wood - I hate polystyrene.

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2008, 06:39:08 am »
I imagine they would be a lot more attractive would enhance the merchandise.

pigsatlesrues

• Joined Oct 2008
  • Normandy, France
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2008, 09:07:55 am »
Good idea!  What sort of price would they be per piece?

Kate  :pig:
Bonjour et avoir un bon jour !

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 09:21:42 am »
Kate look at the top you can vote too ;D

MrRee

• Joined Jan 2008
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 11:17:53 am »
Ok,going to play Devil's Advocate here......

The initial outlay for enough boxes to cover a stall might possibly deter anyone buying even one in the first place. Afterall,it's all about display and uniformity,and who wants one or two looking out of place?

What's the average amount of polystyrene boxes used by a stall holder and how many break on an average day/week?

Do the boxes come with felt-lined lids and are they stackable safely,come in different sizes,have drainage holes,easily washable and transportable,varnished? How much does the lining weigh or rather,what's the cost of posting it back to you to be fixed and what's the turn around time on this? Doesn't using plastic covered felt negate the eco-argument? Is it even hygenic?

........ ok,playing Devil's Advocate over.Please excuse all the questions and me,if I've misinterpreted the remit. I do think it's a good idea,I like the feel and look of wooden boxes,I like the idea of them being personalised,and as a general over-all look of a stall,would give it a more eco-friendly feeling to it,and it's all about first impressions. But,do you look at the mantle piece when poking the fire? Good luck,I wish you every success...... Ree
They don’t join cliques — more times than not, they stand alone — but they recognize and gravitate towards one another. Only warriors understand other warriors.

woollyval

• Joined Feb 2008
  • Near Bodmin, Cornwall
    • Val Grainger
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 05:24:56 pm »
Hello MrRee...........thanks for asking these questions!!...........answers below!

Ok,going to play Devil's Advocate here......

The initial outlay for enough boxes to cover a stall might possibly deter anyone buying even one in the first place. Afterall,it's all about display and uniformity,and who wants one or two looking out of place?

Cost.........is pretty good.........and is desirable as recently our localfarmers market lost out on a national award after the judges apparently said it was a shame so much polystyrene was evident

What's the average amount of polystyrene boxes used by a stall holder and how many break on an average day/week?
Again....it depends but they are pretty flimsey and often break if dropped :o

Do the boxes come with felt-lined lids and are they stackable safely,come in different sizes,have drainage holes,easily washable and transportable,varnished? How much does the lining weigh or rather,what's the cost of posting it back to you to be fixed and what's the turn around time on this? Doesn't using plastic covered felt negate the eco-argument? Is it even hygenic?

We can do lids, felt lined if required, boxes should stack to 3 deep safely and more if supported, poly boxes can be more unstable stacked if full and its the lids of poly boxes that break first!
Boxes are varnished and washable but do not have drainage holes as that can let the cold leak!!! Lining weighs about 250g and is plastic tubing sealed at both ends making it totally hygenic and wipeable........the wool interior can be composted or sent back to us if feasible and new linings can be supplied, but it would not often be necessary we think! turn around could be next day!
Eco wise the plastic is such a small bit compared to polystyrene and it may be possible to find recycled plastic....we don't yet know!
Hope this answers some questions!

........ ok,playing Devil's Advocate over.Please excuse all the questions and me,if I've misinterpreted the remit. I do think it's a good idea,I like the feel and look of wooden boxes,I like the idea of them being personalised,and as a general over-all look of a stall,would give it a more eco-friendly feeling to it,and it's all about first impressions. But,do you look at the mantle piece when poking the fire? Good luck,I wish you every success...... Ree
www.valgrainger.co.uk

Overall winner of the Devon Environmental Business Awards 2009

Hardfeather

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 06:57:07 pm »
I think my eye would be attracted to a uniform display comprising matching wooden boxes.

From another angle.........any time I've been at poultry sales or shows, I've seen show birds arrive and leave in a variety of sagging, collapsing cardboard boxes. Only the older men about the place have nice wooden, purpose-made carrying boxes (presumably because they are the only ones with the skills and the time to build them).

There may be a market for personalised poultry boxes out there for you as well.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS