Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Raised Bed Paths  (Read 4635 times)

2acresoflawn

• Joined Jan 2011
Raised Bed Paths
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:59:27 am »
 :carrot: We're putting in raised beds, and are planning on pathways in between them.  Any suggestions on what material we should use for the paths?  We want something that will keep the weeds out, so we've got some weed control matting in place.  Now we are unsure what to use to cover that. We're considering wood chippings (but could this be a hazard to the chickens when we let them in there? :chook:).  Also on the list is gravel - but it seems expensive.  Any other suggestions?

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
Re: Raised Bed Paths
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 11:58:49 am »
I've used both, my chickens didn't bother with the bark after the first nosiness to see what it was.  But it does scatter easily unless contained. I used the cheapest of gravel, and a ton goes a long way (about £75) if you have weed fabric down first. HTH

Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 01:47:39 pm »
We just have grass paths. Well, bare earth currently, but they will be grass.

ambriel

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Kinlochbervie, NW Sutherland, Scotland
  • Mad, bad, and dangerous to know!
    • Harbour Cottage
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 07:28:23 pm »
How about duck boards? Our chickens don't like walking on them and nor do the pigs.

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:06:58 pm »
I have had scalpings down on mine for about 20 years, seems to work ok..  I put down some old polythene first with a few holes punched in it. :)

Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

smallholder in the city

• Joined Jul 2010
  • Lincolnshire
    • HootersHall
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 07:41:15 pm »
We've got slate chips but I also really like mowed grass paths. One problem we've had is young foxes digging little holes in the slate chips. It seems to be just the young foxes, soon after they've left home for the first time, after a few weeks they stop but it does mean a bit of raking the chips back into place.   

NorthEssexsmallholding

• Joined Dec 2010
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 11:38:10 pm »
I use straw for our paths, you can put a few inches down in a layer, it stops the weeds, and when its wet in the winter time you don't get all muddy, and then at the end of the season you then take up the straw and put it on your compost, then add new straw on the path.  It depends if you can get hold of straw easily, but its a great system that utilises space and produces something for the ground.

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2011, 06:35:22 am »
 You can get "off cuts" or "remanents" of carpet   Cut these to the width of our path and lay down, they can get wet they dont allow weeds to grow and if they are a green colour look like lawn without the work.  YOu want a short pile or office pile  something that is hard wearing.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS