Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Rich manure - what to plant?  (Read 1874 times)

ellied

• Joined Sep 2010
  • Fife
    • Facebook
Rich manure - what to plant?
« on: January 29, 2011, 11:13:31 am »
Well part of a disastrous flooded field drain involved hiring in a man with a JCB and while he was here I managed to get my barn dug out at last (last winter's deep litter horse manure) and taken up to the heap :)

While he was at it I got him to bring 2 bucket loads of the 2/3 year old rotted compost back to the veg plot and dump it by/on one of the beds - tho I hadn't dug the underlying bed yet ::)

So, it's good quality rich compost, lying pure 3" over the soil and still a large heap I can dig into the other 3 beds when I get to it - but for this bed in particular, any thoughts on what might enjoy the richness of a top layer like that as I'm not sure I can dig it all in and I'm actually quite wary about putting much into the other beds in case it is too rich for other things ::)

I'm thinking courgettes might like it as they're greedy feeders?  But not root crops probably..  I don't need runner beans producing any more than they do already here :o and probably not lettuce/salad things too close to the soil so... ???

I've still got at least 10 more loads the same size in the field if anyone has a digger or a strong back and wants any compost ;)  The new heap is twice the size til it rots down it's being a great windbreak for my stallion who loves sniffy things ;)
Barleyfields Smallholding & Kirkcarrion Highland Ponies
https://www.facebook.com/kirkcarrionhighlands/
Ellie Douglas Therapist
https://www.facebook.com/Ellie-Douglas-Therapist-124792904635278/

OhLaLa

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Rich manure - what to plant?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 11:24:35 am »
Try and get it dug in as much you can then plant a block (not a row, so they pollinate) of Sweetcorn. I usually do about 60 plants  :corn: .

Rich soil also enjoyed by Courgettes, Squash, Pumpkins  :squash: 

And you could dry your corn and later in the year try making  :popcorn:

darkbrowneggs

• Joined Aug 2010
    • The World is My Lobster
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 11:52:16 am »
If you dig out about cu yard or a bit less towards the bottom of the sunny side, and later in the year plant a couple of giant pumpkins.  They will love the "muck" and if you can water them a bit if the weather get dry whilst they are swelling the muck will help retain it 

There would still probably be room for the sweetcorn, but don't forget if it is too windy there make sure they are block planted so the wind helps rather than hinders pollination

All the best
Sue
To follow my travel journal see http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk

For lots of info about Marans and how to breed and look after them see www.darkbrowneggs.info

Blonde

• Joined Mar 2011
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2011, 06:39:35 am »
 YOu can grow almost anything on horse manure, carrots, potatoes, beans dwarf and climbng, corn, egg plant, zucchine, melons, pumpkins, Okra,  lettuce, swede, silver beet, radish, tomatoes, asian greens, leeks, herbs and the lis goes on.   Just have to make sure it is dug in and very well rotted down.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS