Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: pygmy goat help  (Read 3552 times)

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
pygmy goat help
« on: January 23, 2011, 03:13:52 pm »
hi we bought two female pygmy goats last year from a local farmer and one of them has just given brith to 2 babys the problem i have is they were born 2 weeks ago and the mother has been great but she keeps passing blood and i am getting a little worried and need some advice if any one can help that would be great cheers john

HappyHippy

Re: pygmy goat help
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2011, 03:47:11 pm »
I don't keep goats (others will tell you for certain) but it sounds like not all of the afterbirth has come out or she's got some form of infection or prolapse happening as a result of the birth. I'd suggest getting the vet out asap
HTH
Karen

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2011, 04:54:52 pm »
well i would say most of its come out as there was a big lump of bloodie mess stuck to her tail we cleaned her up and today iv seen alittle bit of blood i have had one of the local farmers round and he says its after berth so what do i do know

dizzydexter

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2011, 05:08:16 pm »
what colour is the blood?
bright red or browny red?

could be a retained placenta

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2011, 05:11:32 pm »
Hi John2708 - for your peace of mind I think its a call to the vet but from my experience I would say she is fine. Is she eating feed and hay, is she letting the kids feed, does she look perky - hopefully all yes. We had four girls kid last year and the afterbirth came about half to an hour after the kids, our first was still passing blood and I was very worried, after a call to my local expert she said it was quite normal and should stop at about 10 days, she did have the odd drip until about 2 weeks later then she was absolutely fine. Another one of our girls hardly passed a drop. We did wash her every day to keep her clean much to her annoyance.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2011, 05:49:56 pm »
We've always found they can produce little bits of discharge up to 3 weeks after the birth. HOWEVER, if the discharge is brown in colour and smells awful, she has an infection and needs antibiotics from the vet.

Hope she improves- but all sounds fine to me. If she were sick she wouldn't be caring carefully for the kids.

Beth

john2708

• Joined Jan 2011
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2011, 06:46:15 pm »
I thanks for your replys the blood is a deep red colour she is letting the kids feed and is eating very well she is active and alert. It has been 2 weeks since she had the kids thanks john

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS