Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Introducing a new goat..  (Read 4186 times)

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
Introducing a new goat..
« on: January 20, 2011, 09:47:40 am »
How much 'work' does this entail, realistically?

a little history behind the question...will promise to keep it brief so i don't bore you  ;)...

some of you know, I keep goats and make goats milk soap. 'business' doing quite well and love the goats to bits as pets. Lost my source of goats milk (avocet) last autumn but a local breeder is kindly selling me milk at a very good price. However..I would like my own milking goat again (not pedigree neccessarily) so that my children are drinking milk from their own goat and i use milk from my own goat in the baaath time soap.
Hubby has dug heels in somewhat as he "doesn't want extra work" this year. He's been great last year, built the shed, did all the electric fencing, helped me catch them when they escaped (!) carried the ones that died from the field to the barn to await collection etc...all this from a man who really doesn't enjoy animals as much as me  :)

In order to buy in a new goat I understand I will need to have a separate area fenced off so they can see one another but not be able to fight. This means the new goat will need a shed of her own.
How long do they need to be separate do you think?
How hard is integration?
I currently have a castrated boy of 18 months and a goatling girl same age.  thanks in advance for your help - feeling a bit fed up at the moment   :-\
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

katie

• Joined Feb 2008
  • worcs
Re: Introducing a new goat..
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 10:07:02 am »
You don't need a separate shed if you have room ion the existing one for two stalls - divide by pallets or hurdles.The same with the run. I just separated mine for a couple of days and then they managed to get in with each other anyway.  ::) You may not even need to do this - you could just let them sort the 'pecking order ' out from the start.

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 10:27:06 am »
thanks Katie  :)  not sure my shed is big enought to separate with pallets or hurdles though, its a funny shape. I do have a potting shed that I was planning to empty out and then thought I could lead the new girl into her part of field during the day. My plan being to just fence an area next to where reg and vanna currently are?
ooh a quandry  ::)
Smallholding in Worcestershire, making goats milk soap for www.itsbaaathtime.com and mum to 4 girls,  goats, sheep, chickens, dog, cat and garden snails...

Brucklay

• Joined Apr 2010
  • Perthshire
    • Brucklay Pygmy Goats
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 11:28:57 am »
I would agree with Katie - when we've introduced new goats we've found them to be fine when they are out and about as they have space to 'get out of the way' it's just night time to sort out - so a temporary separated area or shed would seem fine to me.
Pygmy Goats, Shetland Sheep, Zip & Indie the Border Collies, BeeBee the cat and a wreak of a building to renovate!!

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:31:57 pm »
This is really reassuring! - thanks both  :)

by the sound of it I could just empty out the shed, make it goat friendly in there and lead her out in the day - will make sure its at a time when I'm home all day every day for a while to check on them too.
I didn't want it to sound like I was moaning about hubby, he really is good but I wanted to make sure that I could do this 99% by myself (if not 100%)!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:45:33 pm »
If you put the shed for the new goat near the other ones, you will find that they might just start going into each others after a while.

Also it might be better to get an in-milk nanny with (female) kid, so she doesn't feel lonely at night... If you other two are horned, get another horned one to allow them to but equally.
It will probably depend a lot on the goats characters, but I am sure they will sort each other out. If the new one comes with a kid, she will be higher up the pecking order straight away.

I intorduced a new goatling last autumn. she had her own pen in the shed, and for the first few times I let her out on the lead when the others were out too, just so I could make sure she didn't jump the fence (and learns about the electric top wire) and that the others did not gang up on her. After a few days it was all ok.

jinglejoys

• Joined Jul 2009
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:45:15 pm »
No problem.As long as they have room to get out of each others way and are allowed to get on with it and sort out their pecking order without being seperated by their human they should be O.K. the more you fuss the more difficult you make it for them. :)
  They can sort things out

ballingall

• Joined Sep 2008
  • Avonbridge, Falkirk
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 11:41:11 pm »
They can sort things out themselves- but I agree it is better to have someplace separate to shut the new one at night. A division in your own shed is fine- or this other shed is ok too. Outside, they should be ok, but obviously keep an eye on them. I wouldn't let them be in together at night straight away, as when fighting they can hit each other against the walls, and hurt each other more easily.

Beth

plumseverywhere

• Joined Apr 2013
  • Worcestershire
    • Its Baaath Time
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2011, 08:19:31 am »
Thanks everyone - suddenly I feel much calmer and know that this will be ok  :)  Hubby has read through the posts and said he'll be fine to help (men!! what's he like?!) but I've decided to wait until a few weeks/months when everyone has kidded and there are a few nanny's looking for homes.
I have an article coming out in Chat magazine in Feb and one in our local glossy worcestershire life in march so will be busy making and selling soap if the response to the daily express article is anything to go by and then we are off to butlins (!) for a weekend april so best to aim for between/after this events to make it a smooth transition for the new addition to our mini herd  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS